How many sets of seat belts under bench seating?

Make it comfortable inside
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

How many sets of seat belts under bench seating?

Post by SeaQuinn »

Howdy. I have a 99 and I found two sets under the bench seat but I thought there were three. Can anybody confirm for the 97 to 99 model years? Thanks.
twistedskipper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Re: How many sets of seat belts under bench seating?

Post by twistedskipper »

My '99 has only two belts behind the bench.
--
Tim
1999 B190
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by jb1rd73 »

my 94 has 2 sets
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

2 sets in our 92

Cliff
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by Minniemouse »

Our 190b is a 1993. We had two seat belts, but easily were able to add one more to accommodate our grandchildren.
Minnie Mouse, North Carolina southeastern coast
usachris
Seasoned Traveler

Post by usachris »

2 sets of belts under the couch in our ‘99. One set on the left of the couch - near the refrigerator- and one in the center of the couch. The seat belts are bolted to the floor.

*correction — 3 sets of seatbelts under our couch.
Last edited by usachris on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

I am pleased to say that I have two sets of seat belts which is a reassuring aspect to this 1992 camper van. Previously, I had owned a Pleasure-Way XL plus and there were no seat belts at all which concerned me when traveling with anyone sitting on the couch. While the Pleasure-Way was pure luxury I find I enjoy the B190 more because I do not worry about depreciating value(in my mind it only goes up with travel experiences). The ability to sleep one or two more people in the B190 is helpful or if a couple wants to spread out due to illness or going to bed at separate times there is that flexibility where the XL had the Murphy bed and no other living option.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Minniemouse sent me an email:
No time right now to log in and respond... but I wanted to WARN
everyone that the bench seat is not safe.
I posted that we had a major traffic accident in June, 2015. If anyone had been siiting on tghe bench seat they would have had major injuries or death.
We had a tire blow out, which caused the van to fall over on the road. ALL of the cabinets
attached to the passenger side wall, unattached and smashed into the bench seat. Any passengers seated on the bench seat would have had the full force of the oak cabinets hit them head on! Thankfully the van front seats are designed well. No injuries! As the driver, I had small cuts down my left arm from the tiny pieces of glass.
We HAD two original seat belts on the bench seat, and added a third so we could transport our grandchildren. NO more!
Worth considering!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

That does sound like a catastrophic failure of the cabinet attachment with the potential of injury. I think sitting on the couch probably needs to be when the camper van is at rest and not traveling down the road. However, the front cab chairs feel a little wobbly to me and they have been checked and found secure. Hmmmm.
okaynagan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Post by okaynagan »

skater wrote:Minniemouse sent me an email:
I posted that we had a major traffic accident in June, 2015. If anyone had been siiting on tghe bench seat they would have had major injuries or death.
We had a tire blow out, which caused the van to fall over on the road. ALL of the cabinets
attached to the passenger side wall, unattached and smashed into the bench seat. Any passengers seated on the bench seat would have had the full force of the oak cabinets hit them head on! Thankfully the van front seats are designed well. No injuries! As the driver, I had small cuts down my left arm from the tiny pieces of glass.
We HAD two original seat belts on the bench seat, and added a third so we could transport our grandchildren. NO more!
Worth considering!
While viewing the gallery we had come across the wreck of minneimouse and wonder if there was a story.Now we know.

One must wonder why there are seatbelts on the couch if they were not intended for passengers.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

okaynagan wrote:
skater wrote:Minniemouse sent me an email:
Worth considering!
While viewing the gallery we had come across the wreck of minneimouse and wonder if there was a story.Now we know.

One must wonder why there are seatbelts on the couch if they were not intended for passengers.
Well, they were - they probably didn’t anticipate everything coming off the walls in a rollover.

mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Probably for routine use the seatbelt a valuable and a minor accident situation. The rollover is a catastrophic moment probably years ago they did not even test to see if cabinets would fail or detach. I would still use them but, depends on the situation....in town twists and turns perhaps...high speed interstate driving caution I might contemplate.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

mountaindent wrote:Probably for routine use the seatbelt a valuable and a minor accident situation. The rollover is a catastrophic moment probably years ago they did not even test to see if cabinets would fail or detach. I would still use them but, depends on the situation....in town twists and turns perhaps...high speed interstate driving caution I might contemplate.
Yeah...and let's face it, being able to advertise 4 seat belts doesn't hurt, even if they are practically useless.

mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

and, this post after the couch was removed...where I carefully cleaned and made sure the seat belts were identified, functional and detailed to make sure they looked good.
usachris
Seasoned Traveler

Post by usachris »

I can’t believe it but as I was upgrading and repositioning my battery bank, I discovered another set of seatbelts under the couch!

So there are enough seatbelts in my ‘99 for 5 occupants. 2 in front and 3 on the couch.
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352