Dampening the Doghouse Noise

Make it comfortable inside
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Dampening the Doghouse Noise

Post by SeaQuinn »

Howdy :-) So cruising and camping around upstate NY last weekend; my bride was giving me the business that the engine noise in the cab is way too loud. However, the v-10 cruising up and down the mountains was music to my ears :-) As we know compromise is the key to happiness so here we go. In my 1999 Most of the noise seems to be coming from the engine cover aka the doghouse. I pulled out the doghouse and found a 100% intact, 1/2 inch something liner. I assume probably a heat shield, noise damper or both. Has anybody (especially 97-99) tried to upgrade their B190 with some sort or noise dampening? If so, any thoughts on product and maximum thickness for clearance? Maybe another spot to consider to drop a few decibels?

Thanks!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Dampening the Doghouse Noise

Post by skater »

Oh, that's tough - I always enjoyed the music, too. I could listen to the 460 mine had all day and not get bored. It was, as Rush said, "Mechanical music." That's one thing I do miss about the B190.

The other thing is, if you're in it for a long day, is that it gets very warm after the insulation soaks through with heat, which is more of a problem in summer of course.

I wonder how it would be if you pulled off the original insulation and installed Dynamat or one of the other sound-absorbing mats that people use to make their cars quieter (usually for audio). You could also put some on the floor and the firewall, or the outside of the doghouse. I'm not sure how heat resistant the material is, so you'll want to check that first for the under-doghouse use.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

There's a company called quiet ride solutions www.quietride.com that has all sorts of insulation kits for Ford E vans. Here's a link to their Ford catalog http://www.quietride.com/catalogpdfs/ec ... atalog.pdf
No personal experience with them but at least the pieces are pre made so you don't have to worry about fit. Otherwise, as Lynyrd Skynyrd says, Turn It Up!

Cliff
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Reddeer »

Hi there,

After tearing out all the carpet in my 1993, I installed Dynamat sound deadening material on all floor surfaces, in the doors, and on the back inside wheel wells. It took several large boxes of the material, but the noise reduction was dramatic. The I installed tile flooring and some throw rugs. You will still hear a lot of sound coming from the doghouse and up through the front suspension, but the conversion was well worth my time (inexpensive) and materials.

I also installed 6 new stereo speakers, so traveling music sounds much better.
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler

Post by SeaQuinn »

Thanks folks! Great stuff here. Cliff....I searched the web high and low and never saw quiteride. I have a few installation inquiries off to a few vendors (dynamat, koolmat, b-quite, hushmat, soundproofcow, quiteride etc) so I'll let you all know where I go from here. Sound dampening or new stereo :-)
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler

Post by SeaQuinn »

Howdy Folks! I took on this project the other day. I did the research and QuiteRide seemed like the best choice. Thanks Cliff! I pulled the cover and followed the installation instructions. Under the stock insulation there were a few pieces of something like Dynamat. I looks like it was installed by Ford during production. Pictures attached showing the original insulation and the underlying Dynamat. I cleaned up the interior of the doghouse that was very clean to start with, glued in the pre-cut materials from QuiteRide, and taped up the seams. They also included pre-cut pieces for the outside or the Doghouse. The directions then tell you to put the old Ford insulation on top of the QuiteRide. The project took about 3 hours and the results are awesome! The bride was very happy. You can barely hear the engine and now you only hear the transmission and exhaust and the B190 noises. At highway speeds in overdrive, I can whisper and the bride can hear me. I now have to watch what I mumble:-). If noise from the Doghouse is an issue, the combination of a Dynamat type product, the QuiteRide, and the original Ford Insulation takes the bark away. I'll forward a finished product pic when I pull the Doghouse again. an . ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Excellent! I'm moving that project to the top of my to do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

Great work! Agreed, will move this up on the list too!