Dinette

Make it comfortable inside
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Dinette

Post by micabarry »

There is a 92 b190 on ebay that has a dinette in place of the sofa bed. Looks exactly like what I'm thinking of doing on my 91 and I wonder if anyone has done it and has either pics or advice. I know I'd have to remove generator box and probably a bunch of wires. Thanks for any help.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Re: Dinette

Post by lido14co »

I have a 92 with the conventional setup. It looks to me that you could just remove your current setup and frame in the new dinette without having to move anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

Other folks have done it. Here is one comment from a year ago:

"Re: What B190 project are you working on?
Postby garydi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:17 pm

Hello all from cold and snowy Michigan. Last year I replaced the couch with a new dinette I built which converts to a bed or couch. Replaced the floor tile with up to date tile and got rid of the new beige short shag carpet the previous owners installed ( couldn't keep it clean). This spring 2014, I will replace the driver compartment carpet with original black Ford E350 cab carpet. I also need to replace the brake fluid since it is very dark. Looks like it'll be snow on the ground until April since it's a record snowfall in the Detroit area since 1950 ( 80 inches)."

I think if you search, there are others who have done it. I hope to do it next year myself. That '92 on ebay has a nice interior.
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

I puchased a dinette/ sleeper from Shop4seats this summer, and am in the process of remodeling my interior before installing it.

In May, I found some rotten subfloor when replacing my carpet with vinyl/wood planks so I just gutted everything on both sides of the van in front of the bathroom. (which was easier than I thought)

My plan is to keep the generator box in place and modify/cutout the front dinette base to accommodate it. It will stick out a bit in the leg area, but the plan is to cover it with the same faux leather material as the dinette ... I think it will look great.

The higher back of the dinette seats (compared with the sofa) will cramp the driver seat area, so the whole contraption needs to be shifted back a couple of inches if you want the legroom. Because the length of the dinette/sleeper is 6 feet, that requires either narrowing the table between the dinette seat bases, or narrowing the oven cabinet. Since I never use the oven, I wanted to do this anyway and install a smaller cooktop and a newer formica countertop.

So far, I have finished the floor, installed the new (wall) insulation and am currently re-positioning the generator switch and other electrical connections from the rear, to the side of the generator box. (where they will be covered by the dinette). Next will be reinstalling the wall panel, then making templates for the cutouts I need to do in the dinette bases. It's all coming together quite nicely.

The custom dinette was a bit pricey $1300.00, but I paid for some extras (faux leather & tucks) , and $300.00 of that was the modification + shipping. The quality of their work is excellent. I figured that a nice re-upholstery job with new foam would have been half of that and I still wouldn't have my dinette / computer work area.

I was drafted unexpectedly to coach my son's soccer team, so it's coming along slower than I wanted. But, that's life!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

BTW, the dimensions of the dinette are 72" long/ 33" high. I had them custom make it just 26" deep, which will fold out to a "narrow" 1 person sleeper. ...just something to consider.

micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Post by micabarry »

As usual very helpful responses. I was going to wait until after our winter trip but I'm thinking of diving in, constructing it in such a way so as it can be returned to original. Sofa is in perfect shape. That would mean a more narrow table. Thanks to all.
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

The sofa support comes out in one piece. It will be easy to replace.

jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

If it is not too much trouble or too late can you please post pics of the gutted van, I am seriously considering this option and have the same though about just gutting it and starting fresh!!
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Sure, I will try to do it this weekend.

Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

jb1rd73 wrote:If it is not too much trouble or too late can you please post pics of the gutted van, I am seriously considering this option and have the same though about just gutting it and starting fresh!!
I haven't forgot. ...just having one heck of a week. I will get to it soon.

jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

No worries, I know all to well about those kinds of weeks!! Sometimes I feel like my poor 190 is never going to get properly used, less alone finished.