Bonding agent

Make it comfortable inside
DavidP
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Bonding agent

Post by DavidP »

Some of the support blocks around the bunk front window are falling down. It looks like some kind of pail green glue or epoxy that is failing. I can order special epoxy for bonding wood to fiberglass from the boat yard but if anyone knows of something I can purchase locally that will give me a long term bond would be appreciated. I am going to start by removing the green stuff from the wood blocks and fiberglass that have failed first. Then re-bond the other blocks before reassembling so I wont have to see them fail later.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Re: Bonding agent

Post by lido14co »

Gorilla glue or gorilla construction adhesive should do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DavidP
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Bonding agent

Post by DavidP »

Thanks for the info. I have found out what the pale green stuff was. Simply Bondo (or another brand)! It seems that the wood which in this section is the only press board I have found in the B190 so far, wasn't properly prepped. The bondo adhered to the fiberglass very well but not so good to the blocks of wood. Most of the blocks failed cleanly with almost no wood in the bondo or bondo in the wood. The boat guys mostly recommended PL Professional to reattach the blocks. Sand fiberglass and blocks with 80-120 sand paper. Score blocks with utility knife in a cross hatch pattern. vacuum and clean surface. The surface should be oil free but acetone or something could be used. I cut cheep pieces of 1x1 for supports wedged between the bed frame and blocks to hold them in position for 24 hours. I was told that the wood will be permanently bonded to the fiberglass and the wood or fiberglass will fail first. The only thing I would have changed would have been to cut new blocks from plywood.