okaynagan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Making fluorescent lights LEDs

Post by okaynagan »

led toplight.jpg
led toplight.jpg (26.82 KiB) Viewed 13966 times
It a is much like a grade school science project; off of Amazon or eBay one may obtain a 5 meters of LED lights on sticky tape, strip the guts out of ones existing fluorescent lights and replace them. We found the results very satisfying.
There are dozens of YouTube videos on this conversion. Being warned from one of them that the sticky tape may fail to stick and is not always reliable we placed globs of rubber silicone at strategic places for insurance.
gut and place LEDs
gut and place LEDs
gutted.rewired.jpg (20.93 KiB) Viewed 13966 times
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Making fluorescent lights LEDs

Post by Kentuckian »

Interesting mod! Keep us posted on how it works for you! Any idea how many lumens of light output?
1993 Airstream B190
okaynagan
Weekend Camper

Post by okaynagan »

clean out the hardware leave only the switch.
clean out the hardware leave only the switch.
gutted.jpg (123.7 KiB) Viewed 13925 times
Lumens! Funny you should ask, I wish I'd known to asked to begin with. Apparently the size chips have to do with the amount lumens. 3528's that I started with only had 5 lumens per chip. The second strip we worked with (5050s) had 15 lumens per chip, what a difference! But in either case enough chips were placed to be brighter than the fluorescent light they were replacing.

Another difference are daylight chips as opposed to the warm light chips. Perhaps it's just my opinion that the daylight seem to put out more light. They are working champion!
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
brefmint
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Post by brefmint »

This is a brilliant mod. I've been shopping for an LED replacement for our fluorescent but will go this route instead. Thanks for sharing!
1990 B190
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

okaynagan wrote:
led toplight.jpg
It a is much like a grade school science project; off of Amazon or eBay one may obtain a 5 meters of LED lights on sticky tape, strip the guts out of ones existing fluorescent lights and replace them. We found the results very satisfying.
There are dozens of YouTube videos on this conversion. Being warned from one of them that the sticky tape may fail to stick and is not always reliable we placed globs of rubber silicone at strategic places for insurance.
gutted.rewired.jpg

Yes, the fluorescent light brings back primary school flashbacks and just does not provide satisfying light. When I get a lull in all my projects I bet I start focusing on that light now! Nice job.
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

okaynagan wrote:It a is much like a grade school science project; off of Amazon or eBay one may obtain a 5 meters of LED lights on sticky tape, strip the guts out of ones existing fluorescent lights and replace them. We found the results very satisfying.
What was your total cost/time invested to build?
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
okaynagan
Weekend Camper

Post by okaynagan »

usachris wrote:
okaynagan wrote:It a is much like a grade school science project; off of Amazon or eBay one may obtain a 5 meters of LED lights on sticky tape, strip the guts out of ones existing fluorescent lights and replace them. We found the results very satisfying.
What was your total cost/time invested to build?

Gee, that is hard to say for 5 meters of the 12v 5050 led runs about $6 to $7 on amazon prime https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?fs ... 1516858197; we already had the jumper wires, solder and silicone adhesive on hand. If don't count your labor time it 's a pretty cheap hack. 16 feet reel of leds did one ceiling fixture and 2 task light fixtures.
sink task light in " big blue the okanagan"
sink task light in " big blue the okanagan"
bb1.jpg (89.69 KiB) Viewed 13382 times
sis b190
sis b190
v3.jpg (55.19 KiB) Viewed 13382 times
ceiling fixture of Okanagan
ceiling fixture of Okanagan
bb1a.jpg (128.63 KiB) Viewed 13382 times
okaynagan
Weekend Camper

converting fluorescent lights LEDs

Post by okaynagan »

Well I am at it once more. This time in the b190.
Clearing out all the components of the fluorescent fixtures and gluing down the LED strips. I've been soldering leads together, apparently there clip-on connectors that make this job much easier; they're not near as time-consuming as soldering is. However only two these connectors came with the LED strip.
LEDs glued down and soldered to each other in the older fluorescent fixture.
LEDs glued down and soldered to each other in the older fluorescent fixture.
toplight.jpg (129.31 KiB) Viewed 13165 times
While I was at it a coat of white spray was added to the shroud of the light fixture; that take care of that yellowing plastic. Looks like a new fixture, it sorta is. It is much brighter now too. :D
lite ceiling fixture with LED strips replacing the fluorescent tubes
lite ceiling fixture with LED strips replacing the fluorescent tubes
ceiling fixture.jpg (20.55 KiB) Viewed 12870 times
what a different a coat a paint makes with these fixtures.
what a different a coat a paint makes with these fixtures.
painted.jpg (35.55 KiB) Viewed 12870 times
Ricci

Post by Ricci »

Hi! this is so helpful. Would you please update the link to the lights. I think the ones you used are no longer available so the link takes me to a suggestion page and now Im confused again! :roll:
okaynagan
Weekend Camper

Post by okaynagan »

It seems the price of them has gone up since I first posted this. They can still found for under $10 for a 16foot reel. search Amazon or eBay for "12v LED strips 5050 daylight".