Fire extinguisher

Make it comfortable inside
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Fire extinguisher

Post by skater »

Have you checked your fire extinguisher lately?

I replaced mine today - Lowe's has an ABC for $13 or something like that, and it includes a new bracket. Good insurance to have for a mere $13. It's a bit larger than the original one but fits where the old one was mounted inside the door just fine.

The original extinguisher, to my surprise, was BC only. I think an ABC is a better bet for an RV:

A - paper, wood, cardboard, plastics, etc. We have plenty of wood in our campers!

B - flammable liquids like gasoline, grease, etc.

C - electrical.

More info here on fire extinguishers.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Rugster
Weekend Camper

Re: Fire extinguisher

Post by Rugster »

After purchasing my '93 B190 recently, I noticed that the fire extinguisher was the original issue, and had lost it's internal pressure. I replaced it with an ABC type of very similar size, in the same place, on the side of the cabinet by the side door. There was a 2-pack at Home Depot for something like $30 (Kidde brand), so I got that, and mounted the other one in my apartment. It came with plastic mounting brackets.

I have read that the ABC types are not ideal for liquid and electrical fires as, although they will extinguish them, the clean-up is harder. The powder tends to fuse to the burning item, and harden. The remedy for this is to try and use a BC type for electrical and liquid fires. As well as the ABC type, I wanted to mount a BC extinguisher closer to the back of the rig, near the stove, but the problem is available wall-space. I eventually found a BC type extinguisher (First Alert brand) that was smaller than the ABC type mounted by the side entrance door. It mounted to the left of the bathroom door, across from the stove. You can see it in the photo attached. Once I began looking closely at available wall space for mounting various things, it is surprising how little there is!