Under Couch Drawer Conversion

Make it comfortable inside
Millennial Falcon
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Under Couch Drawer Conversion

Post by Millennial Falcon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 pm

I'm going to be using the space under the couch for my batter bank and solar charge converter, as well as all the wiring for my power bank.

I saw someone mention on these forums how they had easily converted their drawer into a cabinet, so I did the same and am posting the details here in case anyone wishes to follow along. It was a 30 minute project from start to finish, and gives me an IMMENSE amount of storage under the couch.

Here's a GIF of what it looks like now:

And here's the parts list:
Face Mount Burnished Brass Hinges - $2.32 a pair, and match the factory hinges VERY well.
Latch Grabber - $4 (I had a spare from my bulk purchase to replace a few others around the camper)
https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-Self-Adhes ... er Bumpers - $0.25

Here's how the install went:
  • Removed the drawer.
  • Unscrewed the screws holding the drawer to the faceboard.
  • Gently pried the faceboard off the drawer, since it was still held on with brads.
  • Removed the brads from the face-board.
  • Attached hinges 1.25" from each end of the faceboard, attached Latch Grabber in middle of top section, attached two bumpers to upper corners.
And it was that easy. Just make sure to drill pilot holes, and measure twice. Took less than 30 minutes start to finish. I'll remove the drawer rails next, but wanted to post how easy this was! I'd have never of thought of it without seeing someone else on here mention they had done it!

190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Re: Under Couch Drawer Conversion

Post by 190-b-651 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:28 am

The older models had the door. Im not shure when airstream started putting a drawer in but it would cut down on useable storage space. Looks good.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Re: Under Couch Drawer Conversion

Post by weekender » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:25 pm

I believe I am the original post -- one of my first modifications, have never regretted it! My only change from the original, was that I ended up converting to 2 catches-- the catch was not quite strong enough to prevent the occasional shift of stuff in the cabinet (mostly folding chairs for outside the van) would happen on a bump in the road, and pop open. I have save the original drawer and rails should I ever want to convert back.