Carpet

Make it comfortable inside
sudec11
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Carpet

Post by sudec11 »

Can someone tell me how on earth you get the carpet out from underneath the fresh water tank? I am thinking about just keeping it there but after I cut the old carpet out some had mildew on it and I am leary about keeping it under there. Thanks, I am going to try to put something else in. Does anybody have any pictures to share that they have done to their flooring?

Joan
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I assume you'll have to remove the water tank, which probably involves removing at least some of the cabinetry.

You might be able to loosen it enough to lift up the tank and pull the carpet from underneath. IIRC there is a metal strap on the left side (as you're looking in from where the drawers are), and there's probably something on the right side holding it down, too.

I think most people, when they are replacing the carpet, simply cut the carpet along the cabinets and leave the old stuff in place - if nothing else, it's good extra sound deadening and insulation. But if you have mildew that's not going to be a good option for you.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
baggydew
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by baggydew »

I laid down strip vinyl "wood" flooring after tearing out the carpet. Take the drawers out of the cabinet, unscrew the restraining strap that holds the water tank in place, and lift the tank slightly from under the cabinet on the sliding door side using a lever. Tear out the carpet. You'll be able to reach most of it, the only hard part is where the cabinet is laid over the carpet. Grab the edge with plyers and yank. After the carpet is out and your new floor laid, use quarter round to finish the job along the edge of the cabinets. The camper smells wonderfulk now and is soooooo easy to clean.