Replacing Windows & Business Negligence

Make it comfortable inside
SitStayPlay
New User
B190 Year: 1991

Replacing Windows & Business Negligence

Post by SitStayPlay »

I have a 1991 Airstream B190. I need to replace all of my RV windows (not the van windows) as they were recently damaged by a glass company I hired to rebuild the seals on each (grab your popcorn and read my synopsis below ;). I'm guessing they are the original Hehr windows but I'm not finding any labels on them. I'm in Santa Fe, heading to east Texas next week for a few weeks, then back to Santa Fe. I'm at a loss as to where to start to find replacement windows and a reputable company that can install them. The three RV repair companies in the Santa Fe area do not work on windows.

So, I took my van to a local glass shop (they specialize in vehicle and business glass) to have the RV windows removed and the seals rebuilt, and my windshield replaced as I was experiencing some very minor leaks. I dropped it off at 8am and picked it up at 4pm the same day. My window frames and the exterior around the windows were destroyed, not to mention the interior was trashed. The owner of the company said a new guy, one day on the job, did the work and had to jimmy/pry the windows out because they were "so tight." In the process, he bent every one of the frames, gouged the fk out of the exterior paint while trying to pry the frames out, and he apparently used a high powered drill when replacing them causing deep indentations of the window frames at each screw. Several of the windows no longer open. Icing on the cake was the butyl tracked all over my floor, kitchen counter, couch upholstery, and bunk bed topper. I'll be filing a claim on his business insurance (his suggestion) so if you have any suggestions for navigating THAT mess, I'd be super appreciative.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Re: Replacing Windows & Business Negligence

Post by weekender »

What a horrific experience! So sorry. I'm in New England, so can't be much help except to say I feel for you! Hope you can work thru to get your van back in good shape.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Wow. The windows will probably have to be custom made. Hehr still makes them, I think, but there are probably others.

I wonder if Airstream could help by providing specs.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by Reddeer »

Would you mind posting the initials of the business? Thanks.