Leak in the bunk...

Make it comfortable inside
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Leak in the bunk...

Post by skater »

Well as a result of this leak, I discovered some standing water in the bunk today. I pulled one piece of the particleboard out with the intention of replacing it, only to discover that there was some standing water on the fiberglass shell.

D'oh.

I sopped up the water as best I could, and I have some fans on the mess now trying to dry it out. Tomorrow's task: get a new piece of particle board for that section (fortunately the piece that's bad is only 21 x 33 - so it's not heavy or difficult to replace), clean the fiberglass and carpeting that also got wet, and install the new piece of particle board. Some insulation up there also got wet but it's not enough to make me worry - it'll be okay once it dries out.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Electraglide
Weekend Camper
WBCCI: 0

Post by Electraglide »

I just got my 91 at the end of December and had it in dry storage until just recently. After the first rain I noticed a small wet area on the ceiling next to the fan near the side double door. After reading this forum I checked the caulking and sure enough after 19 years it was shot. So the RV is in getting new caulking.

My question is - how did you get the panel out and did you reuse the headliner? I doubt that I'll need to go this far, but would like to know just the same.

Thanks,
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Electraglide wrote:I just got my 91 at the end of December and had it in dry storage until just recently. After the first rain I noticed a small wet area on the ceiling next to the fan near the side double door. After reading this forum I checked the caulking and sure enough after 19 years it was shot. So the RV is in getting new caulking.

My question is - how did you get the panel out and did you reuse the headliner? I doubt that I'll need to go this far, but would like to know just the same.

Thanks,
I never took the headliner panel out - the caulking is all on the outside. The piece I was referring to was the wood under the mattress.

My fiancee and I eventually just got two 4x8 sheets of particleboard (which, by the way, do not fit well in the back of the camper...I don't recommend trying it) and rebuilt the bed entirely. We had also managed to break the footboard off by pushing against it while getting in bed, so we redid the entire bed and reattached the footboard to the new piece. It's now tight enough against the cabinets that any strain we put on the footboard is also pushing on the cabinets, so it's much more secure than it was before. (We had to cut the big piece in two to get it into the camper without removing a window.)

But definitely have the caulking professionally done. I tried to do the Fantastic Fan myself and it still leaked after three tries. Sigh. For only a couple hundred dollars ($200-$300), the shop resealed EVERYTHING on the roof and the three upper side windows.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Maintenance my friends...prior to discovering leaks....:D

These kinda problems can quickly lead to black-mold which is very bad for your health

Just got an email from John in California yesterday...same problem this week

Since that thread in 2007 that skater links to above I have discovered a much better product for re-sealing any of the items on-top-of our rigs

This is a very neat RV-related product... I suggest that whatever you do, its necessary to remove all trace of any old sealers prior to applying anything new

This can be easily accomplished with a couple of basic items, heat gun or hair dryer, small scraper, small stainless brush and lacquer thinner.....clean is very important prior to applying new sealers

The "self-leveling" is an important feature vs. any other products I have used in the past...

Part # 13-0787 is a light gray color in this product from Dyco Paints, Clearwater Florida....I think you'll find it available at most RV supplies stores...11oz tube at $9.49

$7.32 at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BR ... RE5TWKNPWE

PPL....10.99
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caul ... /49487.htm

Clean like this...!

Produces results like this...

mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Re: Leak in the bunk...

Post by mtnmanb »

I had the same problem, leaking into the top bunk. I applied sealer to the front window and tried to repair the side window gaskets myself, but found more leaking. I took it to the shop, they had to pull the windows as they were fairly separated from the frame. They cleaned the gunk out of the channels (they blamed a lot on that as the water had no where to go but in). and re-seated the windows. That job alone cost about 350.

Got it home and figured I should check under the boards after reading this. Low and behold, lots of mold, but no standing water. So we took the boards out and made a trip to Home Depot for more particle board. Drying the front out now and my gf did a lot of scrubbing around the headliner and under the bunk to get out the mold. Tossing the mattress and getting a new one as well. Ah....RV projects :)

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan