Maximizing the Upper Bed in my 1998 B190

Make it comfortable inside
txtom
B190 Year: 1998

Maximizing the Upper Bed in my 1998 B190

Post by txtom »

The upper bed in my 1998 B190 was really small. I did some research and determined that Airstream made a design change for late 98-99 models that increased the upper bed size significantly. I decided to try and incorporate those changes into my B190. The changes are pretty straightforward, but they do require modification of the existing cabinetry. I am not concerned with maintaining the originality of my B190. I want to customize it to match my specific plans for using it. The work I do will however match the look and feel of the original interior.

On the passenger side I removed the upper cabinet with the generator console, water pump switch, and microwave/AC switch. This is not necessary to fully extend the bed. Cutting out the left side support and removing the lower tilt out door would have worked. But I wanted full leg room on that side of the bed. The face of the bed extension pulls all the way out to the left side of the remaining tilt out cabinet.
IMG_9429.JPG
IMG_9429.JPG (993.48 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
On the driver side I removed the lower tilt out cabinet. I am considering removing the upper cabinet too. The face of the bed extension pulls out to within four inches of the right side of the remaining tilt out cabinet.
IMG_9431.JPG
IMG_9431.JPG (1016.87 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
I will post updates as I progress with this project.
1998 B190 V10
Rugster
Weekend Camper

Re: Maximizing the Upper Bed in my 1998 B190

Post by Rugster »

This is interesting txtom. I have not seen anyone else do this before. I have a 1993, with the longer cabover portion, but will be keen to see how this works out for you.