Resealing in 2020? Sikasil and XTRM self leveling?

Make it comfortable inside
silvertrooper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Resealing in 2020? Sikasil and XTRM self leveling?

Post by silvertrooper »

Hi all,
I've seen numerous threads on resealing windows, but none recent. I'm also interested in whether folks think this is a job for a shop, or better DIY?

The materials are Sikasil and XTRM self leveling sealant, and the work described as:
"Reseal the coach as illustrated on 749.85 TWS inspection
Sheet from RO# . This reseal is of the seams and
appliances we currently annotated that need attention.
See Warranty Notes.
Clean and remove old sealant as required using plastic putty
knife and or cleaners. Properly remove and prepare for sealing
with appropriate sealants."

The other notes talk about how stuff breaks when you take it off the van and thus might need to be replaced, etc. etc. Which sounds like they would take off the roof rail to get under that. I had them do the a/c seal last year, but none of the rest. I trust this shop, though they aren't cheap. The cost for the job with tax and such is about $1K.

Any quick thoughts? It's in the shop now. I've just asked if they take out the windows (doubtful, especially given no butyl tape or seal listed in the materials) and take off the roof equipment and door covers (for water, furnace, other ports).

Thanks for the collective wisdom, all!

Also, Skater, I know you did this some years ago for a third the price...how's it held up?

Branden
silvertrooper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Re: Resealing in 2020? Sikasil and XTRM self leveling?

Post by silvertrooper »

I just talked with the shop and they clarified that nothing comes off the van. They'll scrape the sealant out, spray with anti-mildew stuff, let dry overnight, and reapply sealant. There is quite a bit of sealing to do, per the diagram attached... all the upper windows, most of the small ports and hatches, most of the roof-mounted stuff. I count about 20 locations, if you include all the mounts for the roof rack.
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 4.05.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 4.05.18 PM.png (493.57 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Resealing in 2020? Sikasil and XTRM self leveling?

Post by skater »

silvertrooper wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:28 pm
Also, Skater, I know you did this some years ago for a third the price...how's it held up?
That's a blast from the past.

I don't remember exactly what they resealed on mine. Windows, definitely, but I don't remember for certain beyond that. The Fantastic Fan is leaking, but I don't know if it's a seal leaking or an issue with the fan itself - I haven't crawled up to look. I do sometimes have water coming in the windows, but I'm pretty sure that's because it's parked severely off level and the bizarre Hehr drain system is getting overfilled at the low ends. In other words, as far as I can tell, the seals around the windows aren't leaking.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit