Photos of my Re-upholstered front seats & couch

Make it comfortable inside
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Photos of my Re-upholstered front seats & couch

Post by Millennial Falcon »

My driver's seat was tearing... and I decided to just get it re-upholstered instead of trying to find a seat cover that fit. None of the seat covers I found looked great from the front and rear... I also really liked the SHAPE of the original seats, even if the white and flowery color scheme was weird... So I figured I'd just re-upholster, and if I needed to do the front seats, I may as well do the couch so it all matches.

I picked new fabrics, and the upholstery shop near me agreed to do the work, by carefully cutting the old seats apart and painstakingly rebuilding the seat using the original fabric panels as a template. The only change I made, is to make the back-panel (above/inside the pouch on the back of each seat) to be the cloth fabric instead of the leather fabric, so it tied in to the couch better.

The "leather" was replaced with a really high-quality marine-grade "imitation leather". The center fabric portion, I went with a plush grey/black mottled fabric material. I like the fabric center of our seats, to avoid sweaty stickiness on long drives, and this speckled style should hide any debris or stains pretty well.

We also swapped the Passenger seat and Driver's seats, since the passenger seat padding was in much better shape. So, we just swapped the chairs because they are identical hardware. The couch I had all new high density foam put in. It is AMAZINGLY comfortable now and doesn't feel like sitting on metal springs anymore. (I chose not to go with memory foam, just a high density stiffer foam).

I decided to have the upholsterer try and put the "wrinkles" into the couch instead of just pulling the fabric taught and tight. I like the look better, looks a little more... homey? or like a household couch?

*Please excuse the rest of my interior... it's a work in progress, the curtains are all removed and I'm having new curtains made from off-white canvas as we speak, and hope to have them installed this week! I'll post more photos when I have them!

Here's a shot of the front of the Passenger Seat:

Closer Shot of the Passenger Seat:

Back Side of the Passenger Seat, showing the panel I had done in fabric instead of leather:

Entire Interior:

Couch:

Couch with Center Console Down:

And finally, since I'm sure you're all wondering how much it cost... it was $2890 total. Not the cheapest, but I went with a really well known custom interior shop that I knew wouldn't cut corners... and the seats feel SO MUCH BETTER it was worth every penny, ESPECIALLY THE COUCH! I can sleep on it without back issues! Also, here are the fabric samples and auto shop info. If you're anywhere nearby, I cannot recommend him enough!!
Mario48
New User
B190 Year: 1988

Re: Photos of my Re-upholstered front seats & couch

Post by Mario48 »

WOW. That looks truly Awesome.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

How did I miss this thread? That looks great! Expensive but worth it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
tallakguy
B190 Year: 1996

Post by tallakguy »

Looks awesome! The passenger seat rotates? I have a 96' and have been wanting a rotating passenger seat...where did you find yours?
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler

tallakguy wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:50 pm
Looks awesome! The passenger seat rotates? I have a 96' and have been wanting a rotating passenger seat...where did you find yours?
My seats are stock... I think yours should rotate, too. The passenger seat should rotate 180° and the driver’s will rotate 90°.

If you have the stock FlexSteel seats our rigs came with, there are two levers, one on each arm. One lever reclines the seat when pulled. The other arm lever disengages the lock to allow the seat to rotate. I usually have to slide the seat fully to the rear and crack the passenger door to get it to make the right turn radius.
freelivingellen
B190 Year: 1985

Post by freelivingellen »

Looks so great! Did you have to remove the seats for the upholstering?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

kyleriker
New User

Post by kyleriker »

That looks great!

We've been back and forth between reupholstering our ripped up seats or replacing them outright using something like shop4seats or some place similar.
1993 Airstream B-190
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler

freelivingellen wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:55 pm
Looks so great! Did you have to remove the seats for the upholstering?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Yes, the seats and couch were fully removed.
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler

kyleriker wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:00 pm
That looks great!

We've been back and forth between reupholstering our ripped up seats or replacing them outright using something like shop4seats or some place similar.
I think the original seats just... look better than the Shop4Seats. I don't like the "overstuffed armchair" look of the replacements. I am REALLY happy with just re-upholstering... and the price is about the same.