Replacement for Dometic RM2301 fridge in 1990 model

Make it comfortable inside
jafarTheVan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Replacement for Dometic RM2301 fridge in 1990 model

Post by jafarTheVan »

Hello all,

My fridge has stopped working and I should either a new one or replace the cooling unit.

I have decided to go with a new 2-way fridge. However, Dometic does not make RM2301 anymore. My only option seems to be Norcold 3152. However, the RV mechanic is telling me the waster water pipe back of the fridge might make it very hard to install. He is suggesting cooling unit replacement because of that.

If you have replaced two way fridges, what brand and model did you go with? Also, was installing the new unit very tricky as my mechanic is saying? Thanks.
"As you start to walk on the way, the way appears." -Rumi
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Replacement for Dometic RM2301 fridge in 1990 model

Post by skater »

jafarTheVan wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:18 pm
Hello all,

My fridge has stopped working and I should either a new one or replace the cooling unit.

I have decided to go with a new 2-way fridge. However, Dometic does not make RM2301 anymore. My only option seems to be Norcold 3152. However, the RV mechanic is telling me the waster water pipe back of the fridge might make it very hard to install. He is suggesting cooling unit replacement because of that.

If you have replaced two way fridges, what brand and model did you go with? Also, was installing the new unit very tricky as my mechanic is saying? Thanks.
This has come up a few times. There's really only one model of each brand; the differences are whether you want 12 volt mode or not. The Norcold fits without a problem. The new Dometic is very slightly deeper, and I think people got it to fit by unmounting the circuit board from the back of the unit.

The third option is a Danfoss-cycle fridge, they're 12 volt/120 volt only, not propane.

Norcold thread.
Danfoss-cycle fridge discussion.

I know there are a few other threads but they didn't pop up in my quick search.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
jafarTheVan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Re: Replacement for Dometic RM2301 fridge in 1990 model

Post by jafarTheVan »

skater wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:40 pm
jafarTheVan wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:18 pm
Hello all,

This has come up a few times. There's really only one model of each brand; the differences are whether you want 12 volt mode or not. The Norcold fits without a problem. The new Dometic is very slightly deeper, and I think people got it to fit by unmounting the circuit board from the back of the unit.

The third option is a Danfoss-cycle fridge, they're 12 volt/120 volt only, not propane.

Norcold thread.
Danfoss-cycle fridge discussion.

I know there are a few other threads but they didn't pop up in my quick search.
Thanks Skater. Posted the question in the Norcold thread. For some reason, that thread did not show up in my search.
"As you start to walk on the way, the way appears." -Rumi