Cabinets

Make it comfortable inside
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Cabinets

Post by kstills »

Are they just screwed into the walls? I still don't have the van yet, but what I remember from my inspection was that there were at least some phillips head screws holding them together.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Cabinets

Post by skater »

kstills wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:08 pm
Are they just screwed into the walls? I still don't have the van yet, but what I remember from my inspection was that there were at least some phillips head screws holding them together.
Pretty much. They're screwed into the walls and rest on what I call "the hip" - the ledge formed by the top of the metal van shell and the bottom of the fiberglass top.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Post by kstills »

skater wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:42 pm
kstills wrote:
Pretty much. They're screwed into the walls and rest on what I call "the hip" - the ledge formed by the top of the metal van shell and the bottom of the fiberglass top.
So I'm guessing they come off pretty easy? That will be a real benefit once I get started repairing the wall.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

kstills wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:18 pm
skater wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:42 pm
kstills wrote:
So I'm guessing they come off pretty easy? That will be a real benefit once I get started repairing the wall.
Yeah, essentially remove a bunch of screws going into the side walls of the camper (they glued wood to the inside of the fiberglass for this purpose), remove the ones going into the wall for the bathroom, and remove the ones that go into the ceiling (same situation as the side wall). I don't think there are any going down into the hip, but I could be wrong about that. Removing the cabinet doors first makes it lighter and easier to carry.

I was able to pull it out myself with the doors off and put it on top of the toilet, then my wife helped me carry the unit to the garage. It's heavy (they are real oak!), but the weight alone isn't really the issue - it's just awkward for one person to maneuver around unless they're careful about balancing it right in the middle.

You will want to note which length of screws are used where. I think most are 1.5" long #8 sheet metal screws (I'm saying that without measuring or looking again, so check yourself), but there are a few I've pulled that are longer and shorter. I plan to replace all of the screws - many of mine are rusted or otherwise shot - but you definitely don't want to go through the wall or ceiling with a screw that was too long and put a hole in the side of your camper!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit