Sofa/bed

Make it comfortable inside
Wif

Sofa/bed

Post by Wif »

Good morning to the fire.
Newbie here looking for advice.
I have a '91 B190 and my problem for today is the sofa/bed. It functions well as a bed or sofa but it is next to impossible to access the space under the seat.
I am about ready to rip out the folding unit and replacing it with two separate cushions.
Any help would be appreciated. Wow I spelled appreciated right on the first try.

Yours

Wif
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Yeah, it's not the easiest place to access. If you're careful, you can balance it halfway open. Obviously you can't put a lot under there - watch the wires, the converter, and the heating duct.

In mine, a previous owner (I assume) had cut a board to lay across the top of the converter and furnace, giving a nice little shelf to use. I think the only thing we keep there, though, is the Swiffer, disassembled in a small shoe box.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Wif

Post by Wif »

Skater
Thanks for the response. I am considering replacing part of the flex hose with a sheet metal duct. Should be able to find some thing in the dryer duct section of the hardware store. Then I could stack stuff on the duct. All that is under the seat now is the tire changing tools.
More brainstorming my be required on this.
Wif :lol:
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by weekender »

91's must be much different from my 93. Mine had a large drawer, which had long broken it's slides--cheap plastic that they were. In my case, I removed the nice oak drawer front from the drawer, flipped it 180 degrees and mounted 2 hinges and a catch. I now have a great large storage area. Yes, I still have to be careful about the wires in back of the electric box, but it is much better than the drawer ever was. Heater in mine is in the bath, under the closet.
Wif

Post by Wif »

Weekender
I appreciate your comments. My heater is in the front of he box under the couch right behind the driver's seat. I figured out how to turn on the heater last night. The on/off switch on the thermostat is really really small. Well the heater works noisy but it works. The 3" heater hose go to the rear to a register under the bathtub. I used to heat my old camper in the morning by making a pot of coffee so I think I can remove the hose to the bath room and gain space under the couch and just have heat to the front.
Thanks for the drawer/door description. I can cut out the front of the panel add a little oak trim and Bob's your uncle I have easy access to the storage space. A great place for heavy stuff.
Chapter 3 in a couple of days.
Wif
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

Wif

There is a picture or 2 of the drawer conversion in my photo gallery-- second page of the photo gallery, last album

Steve
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

weekender wrote:91's must be much different from my 93. Mine had a large drawer, which had long broken it's slides--cheap plastic that they were. In my case, I removed the nice oak drawer front from the drawer, flipped it 180 degrees and mounted 2 hinges and a catch. I now have a great large storage area. Yes, I still have to be careful about the wires in back of the electric box, but it is much better than the drawer ever was. Heater in mine is in the bath, under the closet.
Yeah, they changed a bunch of things for '93.

The '91 has the drawer, too, but I think the slides are metal and it has lasted fine for me. That's where I keep the tire-changing tools, citronella candle, etc.

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Wif wrote:Weekender
I appreciate your comments. My heater is in the front of he box under the couch right behind the driver's seat. I figured out how to turn on the heater last night. The on/off switch on the thermostat is really really small. Well the heater works noisy but it works. The 3" heater hose go to the rear to a register under the bathtub. I used to heat my old camper in the morning by making a pot of coffee so I think I can remove the hose to the bath room and gain space under the couch and just have heat to the front.
It depends on how cold the weather will be when you use the camper. We've camped in snow and ice, so I would definitely not go without some sort of heat, and the built-in ductwork is designed to try and keep the holding tanks from freezing as much as possible (this is something Airstream tries to do). On the other hand, an electric space heater is enough to keep it toasty warm in there even down to 17 degrees F. However, an electric space heater has another problem - it's in the way.

Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

91 has a pair of smaller drawers rather than the large long one that came in 1993..

yep....the couch can be a pain to keep in a position where you can access some of the additional available space under there....be careful, it'll get ya
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Alaskan wrote:91 has a pair of smaller drawers rather than the large long one that came in 1993..
My '91 just has one large one. It has some dividers inside though. Sounds like it might be a change they made mid-year.