Microwave

Make it comfortable inside
Cherstream
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Microwave

Post by Cherstream »

Has anyone taken out the microwave? I don't need or want it but don't see a way to get rid of it other than tearing out cabinetry or perhaps through the vent on the outside? Anyone have any microwave insight?

Thanks in advance.

Cheri
Cheri Sicard<br>Author, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Easy Freezer Meals (2011 Alpha Books)<br>Owner 1992 Airstream B190<br>
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Microwave

Post by skater »

Cherstream wrote:Has anyone taken out the microwave? I don't need or want it but don't see a way to get rid of it other than tearing out cabinetry or perhaps through the vent on the outside? Anyone have any microwave insight?
I've always thought it was just held in by a strip of wood in front of the back legs. I figured you just had to somehow lift up the back of it and pull...but I haven't tried this.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Cherstream
Weekend Camper

Microwave

Post by Cherstream »

I can't get to the back, it is in there with molding around the front, which is why I thought maybe through the door on the outside, but haven't tried it yet.
Cheri Sicard<br>Author, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Easy Freezer Meals (2011 Alpha Books)<br>Owner 1992 Airstream B190<br>
jeffreyd426

Post by jeffreyd426 »

Mine comes out by just lifting the front of the micro over the rail in front, then lifting the back over and out.
Cherstream
Weekend Camper

Microwave

Post by Cherstream »

I wish mine was that easy. It has moulding all the way around. Oh well.
baggydew
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by baggydew »

Finally figured this one out.

The wood finish strip under the microwave that keeps the front feet restrained is attached to a sliding panel. This panel is equipped with two cabinet latches at the rear of the panel behind the microwave. To remove the microwave, lift the microwave slightly and pull on the wood finish strip. It acts like the cabinet doors. When the latches open the microwave slides right out. To reinstall, slide the panel with the wood trim piece underneath the microwave and push it in until it latches in place. You'll hear the familiar click as the sliding panel reaches the rear cabinet latches.

Couldn't believe how inventive and the easy this design worked. It literally snaps in and out.
Rugster
Weekend Camper

Post by Rugster »

I know this is an old thread, but I'll post my reply anyway. The microwave in my '93 doesn't appear to have a sliding arrangement like baggydew describes in the post directly preceding this one. I unscrewed the front strip of molding, and attempted to lift the back feet of the microwave over the strip at the rear, that keeps those back feet in place. However, there isn't quite enough vertical clearance to get the back feet over that strip. I have tried this several times over the last couple of years, with no success. It's looking like the only way to remove my microwave would be to partially disassemble the cabinet that is holding it in place.

I don't use the microwave. However, I think I'm going to leave it in place and use it for storage. It's the easier solution!