side and rear door handle cables

Make it comfortable inside
baggydew
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

side and rear door handle cables

Post by baggydew »

On my 94 model, the cable going from the lock to the interior handle broke preventing me from exiting the camper from the interior. When I investigated, the plastic end on the cable separated where it fits into a groove in the lock or handle mechanism. All the doors use the same set-up and this cable end piece apparently is a weakness on all Ford vans. Does anyone have a fix for this problem? A Ford replacement part is upwards of $90 and includes an unnecessary lock while still using this faulty cable end peice.
Roadhog
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 8063

Post by Roadhog »

I had the same problem on my 95 rear door. My friend has a 93 and had the same problem on three doors. I could not find a fix or where to buy just the cables. Seems a shame that we have tro replace the whole assembly but thats what we had to do. If you could find a place that makes up similar cables you might be able to send the cables off and have them made. If you do find a place we would all like to know. It is inevetable that they will fail with age. The plastic end that secures the cable to the bracket just deterioates. Good luck. I just had to bite the bullet and buy the whole assembly. Check the Ford dealer and get a part number and shop the internet, you might beat the $90 price. Howard
funtwodrv
Weekend Camper

Post by funtwodrv »

Roadhog
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 8063

Post by Roadhog »

Great find!! I looked at it and looks like a good and much cheaper fix. I certainly will give it a try next time. If Baggydew tries this fix, let us know how it works out. Howard
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

I've ordered a set and will let ya'll know. Thanks for your help.
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Repair Kit

Post by craigmar »

just another site offering the same kit with instructions and the same price, their website has a lot of testimonials praising this repair kit. Just scroll down the home page for the kit.

www.okmarketplace.com
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

I ordered 2 sets of these aluminum cable end replacements this summer. They are well made, but the fit over the plastic cable housing is very tight. I ended up having to drill out the opening just a little larger in order to get the cable all the way in. Also, you may/will have to remove the latch mechanism and carefully bend the cable attaching tab open in order to get the aluminum repair piece installed. Then carefully bend the tab back.

A good, much lower cost solution than buying a replacement assembly at a Ford dealer. The other option would be to find a good cable at a scrap yard.

I think the high heat in southern climates does them in faster than if the camper lived in a northern climate.
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

I rec'd my kit in the mail today and installed it. Lucky for me, I only needed one end near the interior handle and will save the other fitting for future use. Installation was easy because I didn't have to remove the lock at the door's edge. It only took me 15 minutes. It was a tight fit over the rubber cable sheath but mine fit without drilling. I did have to file the handle notch a bit for the fitting groove to snap into place but it was an easy and permanent fix. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this topic
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Re: side and rear door handle cables

Post by RobertL »

Bought the same kit- works great- The side door broke first. Now my back door has the same issue so this Sunday I will be repairing that one. I suspect the temperature extremes of the Mojave reek havoc on plastic parts like this one. The replacement cable holders look to be a long term solution. Don't waste your time with the Ford parts, they just break again.