Reupholstering the sofa

Make it comfortable inside
meistrell
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Reupholstering the sofa

Post by meistrell »

Has anyone had the sofa and back of seats reupholstered? The fabric is very tatty in my newly-bought 1993 van and I would like to replace it. Any suggestions on who or how? Thanks.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Reupholstering the sofa

Post by Planck »

I recovered the seats and door trim in our 91 several years ago. Got some fabric and JoAnns' and used safety pins to hold it in place. Held up very well for several years until we traded it for a 93. Pretty easy job, as removing the sofa components only requires removing a few bolts on the frame.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

Like Planck, I also re-covered my sofa and captain seat backs. If this link works, you can see my sofa in my gallery here http://b190.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId= ... 666962d8ee. It took 6.5 yards of 54"-wide upholstery fabric and some modest sewing skills, and the fabric was a high-end upholstery-grade remnant that I found on-line for $70. I didn't remove the sofa--instead I used upholstery corkscrews to secure the fabric underneath so that the whole thing can come off to be washed if need be. Did not bother with tufting, and don't miss it. The captain's chair backs were more tedious; I hand-sewed the fabric to the old seat, right next to the vinyl cording. They look great, too. Everything is holding up well. If you have questions about the process, send me a private message. I realize sewing isn't for everyone, but this was a nice, cheap solution for me. Good luck, and welcome.
meistrell
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by meistrell »

Thanks so much for the uphostery advice. Keystone, your sofa looks great. I got a quote for $1000, without the fabric,
so I think I'll give it a try myself!