Keep kritters away

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Eamonn McG
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Keep kritters away

Post by Eamonn McG »

Hello all,
Well it's that time of year again. And while I'm getting the hang of most things regarding winterization, there is still one problem I haven't figured out yet. How to keep squirrels and the like from making a home in my rig. When I bought it and got it home about a year ago, I did some basic maintenance, which included changing the air filter. When I removed the air box I realized a family of mice or some other small rodent made a cozy nest along the engine block, and made a meal out of some distributor wires. Luckily the damage wasn't too bad and I didn't need to replace the whole wiring harness. I had a friend who's car burst into flames while driving once due to dried leaves, grass and fur catching up and I definitely don't want to deal with that. While I do still use the van in the winter it's not nearly as much as I do during the summer, and I'm afraid not running the motor every weekend could lead to another nest. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to prevent animals from calling the engine block, or anywhere else on the rig, home? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Re: Keep kritters away

Post by Wakeslayer »

Hey Eamonn,

We use hedge balls, or bodark apples in our home, outbuildings, cabin, etc. We can get them in the produce department locally for a few weeks in the fall. You can mail order them. The say they are for insects, but they seem to repel mice etc, too.
Naturally, I did not consider needing them for the bus. We were already short on them between home and the cabin. Guess I may order some more.

Mike
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
RussP
New User
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 1012

Re: Keep kritters away

Post by RussP »

Peppermint Oil This is known as one of the most effective mouse repellents. With its regular use, you can get rid of these pests in a few weeks.

To make your own peppermint spray, just mix the oil with a small amount of water, enough to dilute the oil. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle. You can spray this mixture in the areas where you find mouse droppings or the areas where they probably nest. Since peppermint is safe and non-toxic, you can spray it near your cupboards, cabinets, food storage, and other areas attractive for mice.

We use this remedy effectively....Peppermint oil on cotton balls placed in a ziploc bag with holes punched and placed on the tops of wheels seems to work just fine here in the San Diego area where field mice reside.

Good luck & Cheers,
RussP
Cheers,<br>Russ