2012 Winter Project list

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

2012 Winter Project list

Post by Wakeslayer »

hey All,

Our Bus is all winterized and tucked away as winter looms. I have a few things I want to accomplish this winter.
This is conditional on her fitting into my heated shop. I took a level and measure from the ground, and believe I have two inches of clearance heightwise. My bigger concern is lengthwise but am reasonably certain I can get in if I take the spare off.

list of maintenance and repairs:

1. new range hood vent (have the vent and sealer)
2. rain gutters (have the gutters and paint)
3. repair the liner above the bed, it has come out of the seam piece and is sagging badly (no clue how to approach this)
4. water filter replaced (easy enough)
5. water heater drain plug replaced (this is probably a post summerizing task)
6. convert external antenna and phone jack to an electrical outlet (this could be a biatch)
7. re-install the cabin vent cover (the bozos at the RV shop did the worst job possible)
8. repair/replace cabinet latches that have failed (are these easy to get the same ones?)
9. replace stock Co2/LP alarm (old one was DOA on purchase)
10. figure out why the cruise control doesn't work, and hopefully repair (however, no CC keeps me paying more attention)
11. repair canopy mount on side, rear. Hole is rotten and needs filling and drilling (this could suck)
12. possibly build a new table (tub overflowed from holding tank, I know... stupid mistake)
13. replace some speakers with better ones I have laying around
14. Replace hazed headlight lenses

I am open to advice on any of these tasks, if you have experience dealing with them.

What are your projects or repairs you need to take care of before next season?

edited to add #14
Last edited by Wakeslayer on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: 2012 Winter Project list

Post by Kentuckian »

O.K. here is our project list...

We’re going end to end through the B190 that we just purchased. Drivetrain, chassis and RV conversion is in great shape. However, it had been sitting for awhile, so it’s a long list. <smile>

Just finished…
Thorough cleaning and check of drivetrain, LP & water systems and all appliances – completed October
Replace dry rotted waste tank roof vent – completed October
Replace driver’s dry rotted compartment curtains – completed in October
Replace dry rotted range hood outside vent – completed November
Replace dry rotted center brake light fixture – completed November
Replace dry rotted main cabin roof powered vent – completed November
Change porch and all interior light bulbs with LED replacements – completed November

On the todo list…
Have FORD check to see if cruise control fire recall has been done on this vehicle,
Change brake fluid and refurbish front and back brakes as needed,
Replace tires (weather cracked),
Check wheel bearings, and change out all filters and fluids,
Replace dry rotted shower roof vent (purchased and in the que),
Replace leaked down Dometic fridge with Norcold N300,
Replace all interior water lines with CPVC (Found one cracked factory line. The factory pipe was recalled by Airstream for degrading from the inside out. But unfortunately the B190’s were excluded from that recall.)
Replace all house compartment curtains (dry rotted),
Install 100watt solar panel, battery controller (and grid tie inverter to route power to house when in the driveway) (purchased and in the que),
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Wakeslayer wrote:1. new range hood vent (have the vent and sealer)
I found the exact replacement for the factory vent. It was the best replacement candidate that my search turned up. The one modification that I made was to add house window wire screen to keep the bugs out. The replacement was a breeze since it was an exact replacement.
1993 Airstream B190
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The latches for the doors are available from Airstream or from Airstream dealers. (They may actually be a generic RV part - check places like PPL Motorhomes.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

Yes, I already have the exact range vent also. Just did not want to do it prior to our last outing.
I have looked a little and think I found the same latches at a few RV websites. Pending me pulling one out I think I have even found where you can just get the half that always breaks off. Something like $4.95 each.

Kentuckian, that list seems quite a bit more involved than mine. I dread the day I have to do water lines. I am also curious about the cruise control recall. Is Ford obligated to still repair the issue?
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

I have to admit, I wasn't excited about replacing the water lines. But, I really don't think it will be that bad. Most of the lines are easily accessable. Although, I only found one crack, I have been reading that the pipe used back in the nineties has a tendency to degrade from the inside out. So since, I have found one cracked line, I'm going to change it all out. Right now I am thinking to go with CPVC pipe. The other good candidates are polypropolyne line and copper. I think I will go with CPVC since it is easy to work with, low cost and light weight. If someone as an alternative suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Since the recall is a safety issue (fire risk), I believe that there is no expiration date. This is an important topic. So I will post some information on what I learn. Hopefully, that will be of benefit to some others on B190 Enthusiasts. However, I don't expect to get to this project for a few weeks.
1993 Airstream B190
dbensen
B190 Year: 0

Post by dbensen »

I was able to find the exact part at Queenstown RV, in College Park, MD. It called a push latch and is manufactured by RV Designer. 800-938-5883 or www.rvdesigner.com. Part number is H315 for the standard duty. Not sure if what the heavy duty looks like but they are expensive, I think, for what your getting. Costs $12.99 for one latch assembly. Odds are good that they did not manufacture them and they can be fround for less, but this fixed the cabinet door and I'm glad to check one thing off the list. Hope this helps. Doug

There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Kentuckian, I would check into the PEX tubing. I haven't tried it myself, but from what I've read it's very nice and easy to work with. Also, it's flexible, so no need to worry about elbows and the like. I would also install a water heater bypass kit regardless of what type of piping you go with - you'll save 5-6 gallons of antifreeze when winterizing.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

My off grid cabin is all done in PEX. That would be my first choice.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Guys,
Thank you for the suggestion to consider PEX. I'll look into it. I'm looking forward to the project. I'll definately understand the water system much better when finished! <smile> I'll add the water heater bypass to the project list. Also want to reconsider fliteration and how the system drains down. Thanks again for the suggestions.
1993 Airstream B190
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

Checkout the below site. Especially the plumbing fittings section.

www.pexsupply.com
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

My winter project list is as follows:
1) Ski Alpental
2) Ski Crystal
3) Ski Stevens Pass
4) Repeat cycle...

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

:^)
1993 Airstream B190
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Wakeslayer »

Mtnmanb,

That's awesome !!
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

Hehe, I read that everyone is putting the B190s to bed for the winter, I'm just getting started :wink: All three resorts have RV lots, but I think Alpental doesn't have any shore power. Crystal and Stevens are very limited, I stayed at Crystal a few times in the spring and had a blast. I blew the water lines out last weekend and threw RV antifreeze in the traps and holding tanks. Propane is full and at the ready. Dry run on the tire chains last week, I'm ready for my RV season :D

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan