Exactly what runs off what power?

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
B190fan
Weekend Camper

Exactly what runs off what power?

Post by B190fan »

Not sure how to break this down. House battery vs generator?

Without running the genrator what can be used in the house (ie: heat, hot water, lighting, water, oven, range, etc.)?

I assume anything in the house can be used when on generator (microwave, house A/C, etc.)?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Exactly what runs off what power?

Post by skater »

The generator (or shore power) will run:

Air Conditioner
Fridge (on 120 volt mode)
Microwave
Converter to recharge the battery/power the 12 volt system.

Everything else runs off the 12 volt system or doesn't need power at all. The lights, furnace fan and ignitor, water heater igniter, bathroom fan, Fantastic Fan, etc., all run off the 12 volt system. The stove and fridge do not even need 12 volt power (possible exception: newer fridges with an electronic control panel will need 12 volt power available to operate) - they're propane only.

Note: The fridge, in 12 volt mode (if yours has one), is only powered while the engine is running. It draws too much power to run it off batteries for any length of time.

Does that help?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
B190fan
Weekend Camper

Post by B190fan »

Yes and thank you.
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by Wakeslayer »

For some reason I thought the generator was not really sufficient to run the AC. Is that not the case?

This will be an issue for me this Spring as I just got tix to a music festival and they have suddenly informed us there are no RV sites or power provided this year. They also only want people running "quiet" generators. Is there a simple way to muffle these down? Like a small engine muffler?
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Wakeslayer wrote:For some reason I thought the generator was not really sufficient to run the AC. Is that not the case?
From memory, the generator is enough to start and run a 11,000 BTU AC along with another 1000 watts. I used to run the fridge on the road in addition to the AC this way. :)
This will be an issue for me this Spring as I just got tix to a music festival and they have suddenly informed us there are no RV sites or power provided this year. They also only want people running "quiet" generators. Is there a simple way to muffle these down? Like a small engine muffler?
From what I understand - having not tried it - the best thing to do is simply lengthen the exhaust pipe. I don't know how much that will help, though - I always thought some of our generator's noise was from the metal box it's installed in.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler

Post by craigmar »

In regards to the generator, I posted some info that might help out under the generator board titled "Generator Info' concerning a way to quiet the gen set which works very well for me and others that have tried it. I don't know about extending the exhaust pipe as it already is sticking out from the side but I have seen advertised a snorkel type unit from camping world that hooks onto the exhaust and then does a 180 and the exhaust exits above the van, i guess it eliminates some of the fumes and would probably silence the noise as well, haven't heard or read of any reviews on it so I don't know if it works or not.
B190fan
Weekend Camper

Post by B190fan »

Direct link to Craigmar's thread here:

http://b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=354
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Wakeslayer »