Wider couch base mod possible?

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
vacuumbed
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

Wider couch base mod possible?

Post by vacuumbed »

I'm looking to buy a 1997 B190 and I was wondering if the seating surface could be extended to 22" from the current 17" that it currently is. Maybe by welding an extension to the couch...
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Wider couch base mod possible?

Post by Planck »

The base on my 91 and 93 were very easy to remove - 2 bolts at each end. Suppose you could widen it, but will making walking to the bathroom a little harder, as in may have to crawl along the bed. I would suggest taking the base off and have a good look at it's construction.

Good luck
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Interesting.... I just went out & looked at that, specifically the under side when folded out.

The ends are 1" square tubing that come out to a formed metal piece that is the outer edge.
Very easy to cut that 1-inch square tube, make up a piece for each end in whatever you wanted to add, and tig weld them in.

All that would then be required is a crafty upholstery person to add some spring material to match
to accommodate the widening and redo the covering.

Now...with that folded out to form a bed, it leaves 10" over the the front of the cabinets.

How much wider are you thinking...?

Update: in the years prior to 1997, that section of the couch/bed is 3 inches wider...!
vacuumbed
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1997

Post by vacuumbed »

I was hoping to add just 5 inches, which I should end up with 5 inches of overhang over those base cabinets.

I think Airstream really nailed it right with that bathroom redesign of 1997. I haven't seen one in person yet, but ot looks like a good shower setup.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

This will not work for everyone. What we decided to do to make the couch/bed better to sleep on is. Take the mattress off the overhead. Cut it to
fit on top of the couch. We are going to use Styrofoam blocks in the walk way to come up to the top of the couch. This way we can extend the bed
out to the cabinets. We will store the blocks and mattress in the overhead when not in use.
funtwodrv
Weekend Camper

Post by funtwodrv »

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Great idea Gary, thanks
Dave