wifi in campground, tv shows on PC

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
WonderBobo
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

wifi in campground, tv shows on PC

Post by WonderBobo »

I will be staying in a campground for 6 weeks which offers wifi service. Is there some kind of device i can buy for my pc which will pick up tv shows from the ether better than my flatscreen tv which picks up a couple of stations? I have been reading about hybrid tuners but have no idea which one to get as there is a wide price range. I also don't know if they work with or without wifi. Thanks
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: wifi in campground, tv shows on PC

Post by skater »

Depending on how well the Wifi works, you could subscribe to Hulu or one of those. The downside would be if the Wifi is slow, it'll take a long time for shows to download.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
WonderBobo
B190 Year: 1993

Post by WonderBobo »

Thanks. I will do that.
B190fan
Weekend Camper

Post by B190fan »

Every campground I was at this summer explained that if you were wanting to do anything on their WiFi other than basic email and web surfing you weren't going to be happy (or they weren't' going to be happy :lol: ). So streaming TV would be spotty if at all. Most campgrounds were slow WiFi and some were very bad.

Yah, I know WonderBobo posted this a month ago and probably has their answer but...........
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler

Post by craigmar »

I stayed in various campgrounds with and without WiFi and as Skater pointed out, if it is slow so will the T.V. program or video be. I purchased a flat antenna from camping world that you can stick to almost any surface with the suction cups and the cable lets you run it either outside or inside. The antenna worked in almost every campground except the primitive spots and I was able to pick up the older signals as well as H.D. and radio broadcasts as well. I was so impressed with the antenna that I purchased one for my daughter who uses it as a regular antenna rather than cable etc. at her home and I have one installed in a 2 bedroom apt over my garage that is used for guests or family when they visit. Because its in the middle of the city I get about 40 different channels.
The antenna is portable and when not in use can be put in a drawer or wherever as its just a flat piece of flexible plastic with about 15' of cable, I can't remember the cost but it was cheap.
By the way, I also have a satellite dish on the motorhome as well and the above antenna was in use 90% of the time except for special programs that were on the dish, probably because of the convenience of using it rather than pulling out the receiver box and connecting it to the t.v. etc.
Hope this helps.

I too, did not see the date but maybe this will help others.
B190fan
Weekend Camper

Post by B190fan »

craigmar,

Can you share the make and model number of that antenna? Sounds great!
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler

Post by craigmar »

The antenna I have is a Winegard Rayzar and I purchased it at camping world. I don't know what other places may have it but you can read about it at the below listed site. The current local price here is about $45 dollars but an internet special is $41 and every once in a while about $39. Hope this helps.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... enna/66709