What B190 project are you working on?

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

What B190 project are you working on?

Post by Kentuckian »

Don't you hate it when you log on to B190 and there isn't anything new to read?

I know I'm too busy at work right now to make much progress on any of my B190 projects. My big one right now is installing a new dash radio with pop up display and a rear view backup camera. My tools are all over the cab, the dash is apart and no time to finish the install right now! I hope I can remember how to put it back together! <smile>

What are you working on?
1993 Airstream B190
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Re: What B190 project are you working on?

Post by Mgittrich »

Kentuckian,

I'm working on a number of projects all of which are on hold while the B190 is in storage weathering the Midwest winter in a limestone cave. In early April the B190 will emerge and I will continue working on a number of projects I have already started and hope to start and finish before leaving the Midwest in late May to explore the country.

What I'm working on:

Upgrades and repairs completed or in progress since Sept 2013

1. Replace stock converter with Progressive Dynamics PD4655, 55amp 3-stage converter - COMPLETED
2. Install Trimetric 2025RV Monitor. Installed and wired waiting to completed battery bank installation
before being completely done. Currently 90% complete.
3. Add 300 amp battery bank under couch and stove. Battery trays installed, cabling runs completed,
battery switch, circuit breaker and DC sockets installed and wired as part of the converter upgrade.
battery purchase and installation, connecting battery bank to switch and shunt remain. About 75% complete.
4. Replace lower exterior refrigerator vent door - COMPLETED
5. Replace under couch drawer runners with ball bearing slides - COMPLETED
6. Onan generator not running for last 5 years. Had new carburetor installed by local RV repair center.
Operating great now. Cost of repair $450. COMPLETED
7. Replace heater blower motor. The bearings were shot. Repair performed by local RV repair center. Cost $300
COMPLETED
8. Add solar system. In the planning stage.
9. Reupholster the couch. This will be contracted out to a local shop. I'll take the couch to them in march.
10. Replace roof vents with new 360 Syphon vents. I'll do this as part of adding solar panels to the roof
11. Replace lighting with led bulbs and fixtures. In the planning stage.

I think this is it. As I look at the list I wish I owned a heated garage large enough to house the B190 during the winter.

Mike Gittrich
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Mike,
It looks like your making great progress! I finished most of those items during this past year myself! haha! All except the Generator (I don't have one) and we don't need work on the exterior refridgerator vent door.

We have ours plugged in to the house in the driveway with a space heater inside for those inside projects. In addition to the new radio and back up camera, we are picking out replacement captains chairs and fabric to recover the couch. We'll buy Flexsteel chairs and my wife and I are going to tackle recovering the couch our selves. I'm planning to have that all in place by March.

I so wanted to pull the couch out and replace it with a dinette / sleeper system. But no time to design and build that right now. Thus going the low cost route of recovering the sofa for now.
1993 Airstream B190
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Hello all,

Well last year's projects made the Beast drivable and liveable:

Worklist since January 1
- Removed old tile
- Removed old carpet
- Removed toilet and shower
- Cleaned and treated all surfaces
- Installed 22 new cabinet latches
- Treated cabinets and all wood twice
- Installed cabinet liners
- Installed new Monroe gas shocks
- Installed 5 new Michelin (load E) tires
- Installed new house battery
- Installed new LED bulbs in all fixtures
- Installed new 30 amp shore power plug
- Refurnished head light lenses
- Installed Dynamat sound insulation
- Installed new stove fan exhaust cover
- Installed new flood light lenses
- Installed new AC/DC convertor
- Installed new Polk Audio speakers
- Installed new 14x14 inch DC ceiling fan
- Installed Forbo Marmoleum tile

This winter is pretty cold in Santa Fe, so we'll see what we can do about:
- Glue up split cabinet
-Source and install two electric window motors (driver's side almost failed on the last trip!)
-Replace on window latch
-Install steering stabilizer

Stretch goals:
-Gasoline tank "pressure value" - will not "automatically" cut off gas flow when filling
- Helig rear sway bar
-Trim around new tile back and center compartments

If anyone has any thoughts on the window motors or gas tank problem, I am all ears!

Happy Holidays!
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Update on the gas tank. It was actually a split in the plastic filler hose near the top of the tank.
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Recently,

New Thermactor pump ...the old one was sounded like a clothes dryer full of broken glass :-)
New Heavy duty shocks - recently installed
Rear Hellwig anti-sway bar (ordered, ...should be arriving this week)
New front seats incoming - from Shop4seats
Carpet replacement - samples ordered
Plugs/wires/cap and rotor - new EGR valve (maybe, ...I hear a"snoring" sound when accelerating))
Couch about to visit a re-upholstery shop
New top bunk mattress
New stereo

Any recommendations for cabinet latch replacement?, ...I will need to tackle that soon.
I will need to replace my oven vent soon.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Tucsonan wrote:Any recommendations for cabinet latch replacement?, ...I will need to tackle that soon.
Any RV shop should have them, or can get them, assuming you're talking about the standard black latch.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Thanks Skater, ...I have quite a few different latch types that the previous owner put on. I think I know which ones are original.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
garydi

Post by garydi »

Hello all from cold and snowy Michigan. Last year I replaced the couch with a new dinette I built which converts to a bed or couch. Replaced the floor tile with up to date tile and got rid of the new beige short shag carpet the previous owners installed ( couldn't keep it clean). This spring 2014, I will replace the driver compartment carpet with original black Ford E350 cab carpet. I also need to replace the brake fluid since it is very dark. Looks like it'll be snow on the ground until April since it's a record snowfall in the Detroit area since 1950 ( 80 inches).

Anyone ever got a conversion kit to open the electric doors with a key fob? 1992 B190.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Hello from northern snowy, cold Michigan, I have often wondered if these B190s came with remote key fobs. I have the factory manuals, and it seems that they may have. But, the control module is behind the sofa paneling, as I recall. I do not feel like taking that off to find out. You can by a remote on ebay, and I have thought of doing this just to see if it would work.

Here is the site on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120730259141?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Supposedly you can take it to a Ford dealer and they can tell you if it had a remote. Local dealer was not to interested in helping with a 20 year old E350.

I have a 1993 and have just prepped it for a trip down south. But waiting for the latest developing storm to pass, plus maybe mid-month when hopefully the weather down south will be a little nicer.

Just installed a Pioneer Bluetooth radio and new speakers in the doors. Not too hard to do, especially with an electric heater.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Planck wrote:Supposedly you can take it to a Ford dealer and they can tell you if it had a remote. Local dealer was not to interested in helping with a 20 year old E350.
For what it's worth, it's probably cheaper to go to an audio shop and get an aftermarket remote installed. We had a remote start installed on our truck for $150 with two remotes (that was with a Groupon deal, but it's still probably cheaper).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
galennelson
B190 Year: 1995

Post by galennelson »

I purchased a 95 at an auction last september, we also had an 1989 coachmen class b that just sold so we can put the money into the B-190!
-im taking it to a mechanic to look at the front end (collision damage) then it will be onto the body work (spare van bought for parts)
-after that ill be tuning the generator (25hrs on the clock) and fixing a few cabinet doors that are missing
-adding a nice stereo (speakers, sub, amp, deck)
-buying new tires, batteries and a full tune up on the engine and tranny.
-have to figure out a replacement for the top window (read that they are super expensive) (might try the lexan route)
-redo the flooring to vinyl wood look flooring or high end epoxy

couple questions:
-whats the best way to scour the holding tanks (they have sediment) (ive heard about Ice and driving it around) but is there a product that will break down the nastiness?
-i was thinking about plasi-dipping it as the body panels will be mismatch and i wont have enough $ to get it painted (any thoughts?)
-my monitor has a few missing lights, it that the panel or the sensors?
-also the thermostat by the top bunk is missing its cover, any thoughts on a replacement? can i replace with a house thermostat?

ill keep you all posted and try to take pics along the way, got a good deal but it will be a ton of work.
thanks for all the info!