surf board rack for exterior

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
RobertS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

surf board rack for exterior

Post by RobertS »

Currently carry two 12 foot kayaks on the roof with Thule bars attached to factory roof rack. I have traveled for ten plus years with double strapping each boat for extra safety. I would also like to carry my 12 foot windsurf board weighing 50 pounds. I have hung it from the awning brackets with two padded slings for short local beach runs. This travels ok but blocks the passenger side entrance doors. I am thinking of adding two or three cleats ( for tying slings ) on the driver side of fiberglass top just above the line where van metal meets fiberglass, either above, at , or below the curved fiberglass. Any thoughts of ideas form site users??

White Whale WW
1992 B19 E350 460ci
WW White Whale
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: surf board rack for exterior

Post by jb1rd73 »

I am fabing up a pretty extensive new roof rack out of aluminum square stock, I will post pics as soon as we get a bit more done, our first idea had to get tossed and the subsequent iteration is not exactly what I wanted but after some brain damage I think it will work out pretty good. Not supper happy about how tall it is over all 9'8" to the top of the rear portion that has to straddle the A/C. I am thinking even if I put two paddle boards stacked I should be around 10 and half. The whole thing is ridiculously overkill but the aluminum is super light.
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by jb1rd73 »

Got the rack finished tonight. Not exactly what I wanted but we had to scrap our original plan and fab it up on the fly. The Thule Basket will be coming off, as it makes it really tall , 10' without anything in or on it.

ImageImageImage
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

Great pics, thank you for posting them and really nice work! :D
Sector9surf
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Post by Sector9surf »

I have seen campers with custom built racks attaching to /off the hitch and the boards are stored vertically.

I'm wondering how the top rack is fastened to the camper. Did you predrill and bolt it?