Still New...Still have question? :-)

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Still New...Still have question? :-)

Post by LarryMarty »

How do I remove the sliders from the track the curtains hang?

When I plug in my refrigerator, the circut breaks?

I don't have propane yet, but is it totally separate from the electricity in making the refrigerator work? Can I run it while driving?

I set the refrigerator on 12 Volt... drove for about 40 miles...couldn't tell it cooled at all. How long does it take to cool?

My overhead light between the chairs don't work. It's driving me crazy...I can see anything at night! ha ha Can anyone tell me about this? Is it on a breaker or fuse?

Well...I can't get my generator to work, so I am taking it to a Onan Dealer. Will they change the oil by some kind of siphon or will they take out the unit and charge me for labor time? Anyone had this happen. I still can't find the siphon to take out my oil and replace it. I have the 1993 that you can't get to the drain plug.

The cover on the outside where the electric cord goes in broke off. Where can I get one of those...or something that will fit. Water could get in there if it rains.

Well.......sorry for all the questions...but I'm still just getting started.

Larry marty in Orlando, fl

[/b]
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Re: Still New...Still have question? :-)

Post by ChasingRain »

I can answer a few...
LarryMarty wrote:How do I remove the sliders from the track the curtains hang?
most of them have a screw at the end of the track- take it out and slide the sliders out. I still haven't figured out how to get the front on in upper bunk out (not that I've really tried
LarryMarty wrote:I don't have propane yet, but is it totally separate from the electricity in making the refrigerator work? Can I run it while driving?
Yes. Running the fridge on propane while driving seems to be the subject of some debate, but I works for me :D

LarryMarty wrote:I set the refrigerator on 12 Volt... drove for about 40 miles...couldn't tell it cooled at all. How long does it take to cool?

My understanding is that running the fridge on 12v doesn't cool it, only maintains the current temp. You have to get it down to temp on propane or AC
LarryMarty wrote:My overhead light between the chairs don't work. It's driving me crazy...I can see anything at night! ha ha Can anyone tell me about this? Is it on a breaker or fuse?

Check the dimmer switch on the dash. This is a source of frustration for me as well. I can't seem to make the map lights work without every other light in the van being on as well...
LarryMarty wrote:Well...I can't get my generator to work, so I am taking it to a Onan Dealer. Will they change the oil by some kind of siphon or will they take out the unit and charge me for labor time? Anyone had this happen. I still can't find the siphon to take out my oil and replace it. I have the 1993 that you can't get to the drain plug.

Don't know about the oil change, but the Onan dealer charged me $220 to tell me that I'd be better off getting a new generator (~$2200) rather than repair mine. I decided to do neither....[/quote]
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Yeah, the 12 volt mode of the fridge is good for only keeping food cold - if even that. It's pretty weak.

If your breaker trips when you turn on the fridge, you've got a problem somewhere. I'd open the back of the fridge and look at the wiring coming in to start - see if you can see anything surprising there. But it sounds like you have a short somewhere inside the fridge, which you'll want to get fixed. The fridge should work better on electric (120volt) than gas.

For the lights in the cab, first, the doors have to be open or the dome light switch has to be on (i.e., rotate the headlight switch until the dome light would turn on). Then, the two switches on the light have to also be set to on. They'll come on whenever a door is opened or the dome light switch is on - think of those not as camper lights but as the dome light for the vehicle. Also the bulbs have to be good. :) The fuse would be one of the engine fuses (beneath the driver's side of the dash).

My dome light is not wired into the rest of the system - when I turn on the dome light, all I get are the two lights between the driver and passenger seats.

The generator service tech will charge you. $80/hour or something last time I had mine looked at. They aren't cheap.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

It's great learning

Post by LarryMarty »

Thanks Chasing Rain and Skater!

I had taken the screws out to remove the curtains...but the screw had bent the track.....that why I couldn't get them out...so that's one problem solved

I had my upper windows blacked out totally......so no need for curtains! ... I am so happy with it.

OHHHHHHHH.........now I understand about the 12V Fridge.........so after I get it cold, the 12 volt just keeps is moderately cool until I can plug in again. I gets it, but still haven't figured out my breaker flipping when plugging it in. I am going to get some propane this week to try the fridge on propane. I have no idea how to light it.....so that will be another question. ha ha

I will check the fuses under the dash so I can see if that will help with the dome light. (80.00 an hour to figure out that stuff??????) wow!!! .... I am going to do my best to repair everything that I can before getting someone else to do it.

I had no idea that a new generator costs so much.........that is unbelievable! ... I do hope I can get mine fixed to last a while longer.

Skater...didn't you buy a new generator? I think I remember you telling me you did. Were you able to up the power put-out at all with a new one.....so you could run the micro and air at the same time.

Larry
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

No, I was stuck with the same make and model of generator. If you're not looking to run it while on the road you can go a lot cheaper and get something like those Honda generators - they're QUITE amazing and very quiet to boot.

However I wanted something I could use on the road, and the only thing that fits in that box is the Onan 2800. Yes, it is expensive, and so far I'm not terribly happy with the quality of the new one - for example, I couldn't get it to stay running on the way home from the last trip - I'd start it, but as soon as I got out on the road or went around a turn, it'd stall. It runs fine when I'm sitting still, but that's not what I need it for. Hopefully these are just "teething" issues or something and it'll smooth out - fortunately there's a 3-year warranty on it.

You'll never be able to run the microwave and A/C at the same time - at least not without some major wiring changes, regardless of the generator size. The reason they're switched now is so that you only need one 15 amp circuit to run both. To fix that, you'd have to run a second 15 amp circuit for it, then to be safe you'd want to upgrade the shore power cord to be 50 amps...then you could look at upgrading the generator (which you can't, because it won't fit).

Actually, let me back up a bit from that last statement - I think our generator could run the microwave and A/C simultaneously, if the microwave is less than 1000 watts, but you wouldn't be able to run anything else (converter, lights, etc.).

Other Airstreams (i.e., trailers) I've seen from the late 80s through the 90s has this same arrangement - there's a switch somewhere that flips from A/C to microwave, for exactly this reason.

It doesn't bother me, because I've found that I almost never use the microwave - I think the only time I used it was when I was actually living out of my camper for a couple weeks in between houses; when I'm out camping I use the microwave for snack food storage. :)

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

To start the fridge on gas, here's what I do (if you have the same model fridge):
1. Open the gas valve all the way (don't try to use it halfway - all or nothing).
2. Light the stove to ensure gas is flowing through the lines. Turn off stove.
3. Turn the fridge to GAS, might as well turn the thermostat to MAX.
4. Press and hold the right button.
5. Repeatedly depress the left button. Repeat. Repeat.
6. Watch the little sight-glass - when you hit the flint button (the left button) you'll see a blue or yellow spark). Eventually, that will stay blue when the fridge actually lights. Release the right button.
7. Close fridge door, wait 6 hours or so for cold.

Outside you'll hear the propane burning.

Note - it can take upwards of 10 minutes sometimes to get it started. Air gets in the propane lines and has to all be flushed before it'll light. It can be pretty frustrating, but hang in there, it'll light (unless there's something wrong).

Also, if the camper has been sitting a while, you may discover that spiders have made nests in the lines - they like propane (this is a common problem with gas grills). You shouldn't run into this problem, because the system should be sealed well enough that this isn't an issue, but be aware it can happen.

One other thing, for people not familiar with absorption-style refrigerators (what campers use): they aren't quick, and they aren't very good if you are in and out of the fridge all day. I start mine the night before I leave then load it up the following morning, and it has usually cooled down to a good temperature by that time. Try to stay out of the fridge as much as possible! (Your home fridge uses a compressor to speed up the process and be more resistant to having the door opened a lot.)

Ideally, you have a level space at home and can plug in the camper and just leave the fridge run during the summer - that's what I'd do if I had a level spot. They don't take much electricity to run and having it ready to go is nice.

We use absorption fridges because (a) they can run on things other than 120 volt electricity and (b) they're VERY efficient - even our small tank of propane can probably run the fridge for several weeks, maybe even a couple months, without a problem.

Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Eagle »

Larry there is a gas valve on the back of the refrigerator. Open the outside door and check to be sure it is on. While in there take a paint brush and clean out all the debris that has accumulated.

You can also check the electric wiring while in there to determine if there is a problem. Also check the fuse at the panel. That would be a simple solution to the electrical problem.

My refrigerator is original equipment and continues to work great. I expect yours if Ok, just needs some TLC.
LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Post by LarryMarty »

Thanks Eagle......

I went to get propane today...and something is wrong with my conneciton valve (according to the attendant) ... he said it won't screw on properly and I need to have it replaced...so until then, I'll have to wait on trying the fridge with propane... however... thanks for the other advise...
How can you tell when those fuses are blown or bad. All of mine a 15 amps....
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

LarryMarty wrote:Thanks Eagle......

I went to get propane today...and something is wrong with my conneciton valve (according to the attendant) ... he said it won't screw on properly and I need to have it replaced...so until then, I'll have to wait on trying the fridge with propane... however... thanks for the other advise...
How can you tell when those fuses are blown or bad. All of mine a 15 amps....
First, try a different propane dealer - some have trouble with the location of our tanks. (I've never had a problem but there's a thread, probably in the propane forum, where a couple people mention having issues.)

A bad fuse won't cause the 120 volt mode of the fridge to short out. You can check them using a multimeter or just swap them around, but that's not the problem with your fridge.