Need help buying a very ODD B190!!!!

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Re: Need help buying a very ODD B190!!!!

Post by nvestysly »

Alaskan wrote:I'd say its an Okanagan...... one of the last ones built in 1990/91 during the turn-over to Airstream.

They only used that color on their rigs back then...
Alaskan, please provide more details. What do you mean by Okanagan? I see that brand associated with campers and I see pictures of some unusual vehicles when I perform web searches. Did Airstream buy the rights to that camper or something? Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe all the information is on this forum somewhere but I'm new here and need to be educated.

why3zx, good luck with your new van. I'm sure you'll have lots of great experiences with your new baby.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by Tucsonan »

why3zx wrote:Thanks! Tires are brand new this spring, so good for a while on those. First thing to do is going to be getting all of these ugly stripes off of the side and get the paint buffed out. Anyone need some side skirts?
Great, the other "top of the list" things with mine were shocks and a Hellwig antisway bar (rear). After that, my'94 started driving like a van instead of a boat!

The shocks are pure "hell" to change on a '94. If yours are similar, I recommend getting a quote from a shop.

The Hellwig antisway bars are an afternoon bolt-on project. There are lots of write-ups on this site with great advice on them.

Enjoy!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

nvestysly wrote:
Alaskan wrote:I'd say its an Okanagan...... one of the last ones built in 1990/91 during the turn-over to Airstream.

They only used that color on their rigs back then...
Alaskan, please provide more details. What do you mean by Okanagan? I see that brand associated with campers and I see pictures of some unusual vehicles when I perform web searches. Did Airstream buy the rights to that camper or something? Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe all the information is on this forum somewhere but I'm new here and need to be educated.
O'Kanagan is the company that made the B190 before Airstream bought them out and started making them under the Airstream brand. A friend of mine bought one and I took several pictures of it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
why3zx
Weekend Camper

Post by why3zx »

So, did some more looking this afternoon while I was working on the sticker removal chore (proving to be a huge job for sure) the vin plate is located on the side of the van (the coach vin) just behind the drivers door. It states that it is a Thor industries, and the vin does not start with B19. hmmmm. Ill have to get a pic.
why3zx
Weekend Camper

Post by why3zx »

Also, this van is getting a full makeover, anyone interested in a build thread?
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

A build thread would be great, you can also join Expedition Portal there is a sub forum on there for vans. The info on builds over there is substantial.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/f ... amper-Vans
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997

Post by Mark »

Cool!

I saw an Okanagan here in Hood River yesterday.

It's interesting to learn the history and evolution of the B190.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
why3zx
Weekend Camper

Post by why3zx »

Wife and I have been working on this rig almost non stop since we got it, figured it would be worth a little taste of our progress.

All shined up, new wheels (only one is polished in this pic), all of the vinyl graphics removed (worst job ive ever done). I sure everyone is wondering why I painted the vent covers black....

well.

start (more of a proof of concept) of the digi camo sceme that is going to be. I am digging it so far, I am sure others will have their own opionions. :lol:

Still to complete on the outside is the window tint and new mirrors, both just need to be installed.

Got an additional house battery installed with a 100W Renology solar panel.

No photos of the inside just yet, need to get the bed back from the upolstery shop. but I will say, full new laminate floors, new paint and hinges on all cabinets, new diamond plate inlays, LED lighting, new front seats with swivels, new bathroom floor. couch/bed being re-done in a hot rod tweed. Audio and video system is in the planning stages.

We love this thing!
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

WOW! You've made excellent progress. The van is looking good and the digital camo idea is definitely cool! Keep us posted.

If you have pictures of the decal removal and are willing to write a synopsis of how you approached the removal without damaging the paint that would be a great topic for another thread.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997

Post by Mark »

Dang! It looks a lot better!
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Looking goooood!

Cliff
why3zx
Weekend Camper

Post by why3zx »

Not too sure I took too many pics of the decal removal process, it was a bear though, I will look and see what I have. Figure I have about 100$ into removing the vinyl, but one side had been left in the sun a lot longer than the other and made for much slower going, one of you guys with newer vans would be much eaiser to accomplish.

Got my new Velvec Class A mirrors in today, and the propane Extend-A-Stay kit, Should have the mirrors on tomorrow and then it will be going to Elk camp for an entire month. I will get some pics up in the pines.

Installed 6 more of the LED interior lights this morning and they are amazing.
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Looking stellar!!! Love the tan and digi-camo idea!!! are you going to throw in white squares too? Maybe some darker brown and light grey?
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

Great work and I like the black on tan. Labor of love indeed :D
why3zx
Weekend Camper

Post by why3zx »

Got my new LED headlights in and installed them at camp, pretty sweet, will do a full update when we get the van back next week.