What are these???!

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

What are these???!

Post by jb1rd73 »

What is this???ImageImage any idea what these are? The are located on the outside frame rail just below the driver side door, they appear to be batteries or something, can't really get a good look at what's on top but they look to be wired together.

Sent by magic, I mean come on really, pictures through thin air, MAGIC!!!
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Re: What are these???!

Post by nvestysly »

Hmmm.... they do look a little like batteries but it appears the black plastic boxes (batteries) are not sitting on the sheet metal brackets. It appears they are somehow suspended 1/2 - 1 inch. Probably doesn't help answer your question but it seems odd.

You didn't say the year of your van. The year may make a difference.

I noticed a sticker under the engine compartment hood of our 1998 van that indicates there is an additional battery for the van. Yes, there is a "house" battery but I think Airstream installed that. The label under the hood appears to be a factory Ford sticker. I have not seen an additional battery so I'm not sure what the sticker is referring to. Maybe your van has the additional battery(ies) referred to on the sticker. Do you have a similar sticker under the hood?

I've gotten quite a bit of free information from my local Ford dealer. I typically call the parts department and tell them the VIN (they want the last eight digits) then I ask for a part or give them a description of the problem. For instance, I wanted to replace the cabin air filter since many relatively new vehicles have a filter. I called to request the filter and they told me my vehicle doesn't have one. Maybe you can call and ask about additional batteries and see what they say.

Not much help I know but maybe it will lead you down a path that gets you an answer.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

our 91 had these. I think they are vapor canisters for the fuel system, or something like that.
Phil
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

He is correct, fuel vapor canisters.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

thank you
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Honda Element in the background..picture #1...?
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Alaskan wrote:Honda Element in the background..picture #1...?
YOU'RE GOOD!! Yes its an 05 we love it but it is getting sold before we leave Florida.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Better re-think selling the Element if you're going to Colorado....although it doesn't look like it has half-shafts in the rear, therefore 2WD.... :mrgreen:

Well....we have two identical silver 2008's and have been looking for a 2011, last year they made them...found a very nice one over the weekend.

Florida ya say...one of our other b190 members ( member #3), also from Florida is visiting us currently...for fishing