Where is the breaker or fuse for:

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Where is the breaker or fuse for:

Post by LarryMarty »

Went camping this weekend, and my outside lights and the lights in the upper bunk stopped working. I looked in the breaker/fuse box under the sofa....but nothing indicated that they were there.

This is a 1993 ...
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Did you flip the switch near the upper bunk? The purpose of that is to kill all the lights once you're up there.

Also, see this, though I suspect that your problem isn't a fuse because there'd be a lot of other stuff out if yours is wired like mine.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Lights

Post by LarryMarty »

Hmmmmmm? ...... The lights were on outside when I went to bed.... and the lights in the upper bunk were on as well..... I turned them off at the on each side of the bed. Are the inside and outside lights connected someway or are they separate?

You know......... I bet the bunk lights work... I just need to turn them on with the switch on the light!!! OF COURSE!!!! ..... but what about the outside?
skater
Site Admin

Re: Lights

Post by skater »

LarryMarty wrote:You know......... I bet the bunk lights work... I just need to turn them on with the switch on the light!!! OF COURSE!!!! ..... but what about the outside?
Okay, I didn't explain that well. :lol:

In mine, there is a switch that cuts most interior lighting and it might kill the outside light too - I've never checked. This switch is on the "front" end of the cabinets (by front I mean toward the front of the camper) over the couch.

The purpose seems to be that you can shut off lights in the camper, except that it doesn't work very well because it's not wired smartly - if you hit it, I think it kills the bunk lights, too. It has been a while since I've played with it, though, and I didn't think to check those lights when I did the audit of the circuits.

Of course, it's quite possible the bulb outside just went bad, too. :)

LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Lights...

Post by LarryMarty »

I'll check my bunk lights tomorrow. I am almost sure they will be working...... however, on my 1993 there is a light on both sides of the van, and they both went out......

I'll let you know what I find.
skater
Site Admin

Re: Lights...

Post by skater »

LarryMarty wrote:I'll check my bunk lights tomorrow. I am almost sure they will be working...... however, on my 1993 there is a light on both sides of the van, and they both went out......

I'll let you know what I find.
Any luck with this?

And, if you don't mind, please tell me a bit more about the streetside light - where is it? Is it controlled by the same switch as the curbside light?

LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Lights Lights Lights

Post by LarryMarty »

..........as you said, the switch on the cabinet next to the upper bunk gave power to the lights in the bunk, however they didn't affect the outside lights.

The outside lights; street side and curb side are controlled by a switch at the bottom of the cabinet ... where the side double doors are. If you were stepping in....it would be on the left close to the floor.

I did use the outside lights when I arrived at the campground........but before I went to bed, I noticed they weren't working.

...btw...the floresent blubs in the ceiling (middle of the coach) ... are they a special size, or can they be found anywhere. One of mine is quite dim and flickering a little bit.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

I tested my lighting tonight. As I thought, the switch near the bunk controls the two lights in the bunk as well as the reading lights above the couch. Kind of an odd wiring decision there by our friends at Airstream, but whatever. It does not control the florescent light or the light outside.

That said, I'm not sure what's going on with your outside light. Check the fuses, if you haven't already, then I would check the switch itself - I wonder if something knocked off one of the wires or the switch went bad.
...btw...the floresent blubs in the ceiling (middle of the coach) ... are they a special size, or can they be found anywhere. One of mine is quite dim and flickering a little bit.
No, the florescent bulbs are a standard size that eludes me at the moment. Take the numbers off the side and wander into Lowes, Home Depot, or the like and they'll have them. Note - buy 2! Or you'll end up in a situation like me where you have one that's a different shade. :)

However, mine flicker too, and it's not the bulbs. It has something to do with the power; turning on another light will sometimes stop it (or start it). I think it's our converters being annoying.