Tire on the back door

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Tire on the back door

Post by LarryMarty »

In the previous post, a mention was made about a bike rack and how the tire on the back door is in the way.

I have read that in later B190's that the tire was removed from the door and stored underneath the vehicle. Is this true? I wonder could the tire be removed and made to store like the later vehicles, or get one of those donut tires?

This is not only for a bike or storage rack, but my tire is separating from my door. I can actually see a tear in the metal of the door and it shakes when driving. It's quite a concern. Otherwise I may have to have it repaired by a weld.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Problem is, our gray/blackwater tanks are where the tire would be, and they're not going to be easy/fun to move. :(

You might have to get the door welded... Honestly I'm really not sure what else to tell you to do with the spare.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Spare Tire on 1997-2000 rigs...Not an option on the earlier vans

Last edited by Alaskan on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Larry...

Where is your door cracking...at the upper outside mount or the center mount where the doors come together

Thats something your going to need to have repaired...

Upper mounting at outside of door..

This is the mounting at the center where the doors come together...

Last edited by Alaskan on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

spare tire door repair

Post by craigmar »

I don't know what the door repair would cost or look like along with a new paint job, but I would check out the junk yards for a rear van door with the tire holder. I have a 91 b van and an 89 econovan and they are pretty much the same thing, the 89 has a rear door mount also which looks to be the same as my 91.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

The door hinges are entirely different on the 89 through 91...therefore the tire mount brackets mount onto them in a more substantial manor... rather then being bolted through the sheet metal of the door itself

Larry....after you've had that repair done there might be room to install a metal strip behind that bolt to maybe distribute the pressure....
Last edited by Alaskan on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Post by LarryMarty »

Alaskan....
It is the mount where the doors come together. The sheep metal is tearing away, but I am assuming it is bolted inside the sheet metal to the actual door.

I haven't had it looked at yet, but it is a concern. Looking for a replacement door is a great idea if it comes to that.

Thanks for all the great pics...! you're a great help.