Screens for double doors

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
babsy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Screens for double doors

Post by babsy »

Hi,
I have a 1998 190B ....I wondering if anybody has come up with an idea to put a screen on the double doors? I'd like to be able to sit in Van with double doors open but can't without a screen due to bugs. Any idea's appreciated.

Thanks
Babsy
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Screens for double doors

Post by weekender »

babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

Thank you! Looks like this just might work. Not cheap but if it works I think it will be well worth the money. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Babsy
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

I went the DIY route on this. A large piece of screen, sized for a sliding door, from Home Depot.
I used black "duck" tape (cheaper than duct tape - kinda "vinyl"ish) to tape the edges of the screen.
I picked up some decent sized magnets at a local army/navy type store and taped those in along the top. I attach it to the top of the door frame when the doors are open. Works greats! (The magnets need to be pretty strong, and quite a few of them, to hold up the screen. Fridge magnets from The Hobby Lobby aren't going to hold it!)
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

hello,
I like your DIY idea. Any chance you have a few picture you can post? One showing the edges/magnets and one when it' attached to the frame? If not no worries, I appreciate your idea...I'm just a visual person and I need to see something to wrap my head around it.

thanks

Babsy
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Mine had velcro around the edges to keep the screen against the frame and keep bugs from getting in. I never used it because I traveled with a cat and he was out of the camper before I even had it up the one time I tried it, but aside from that I definitely liked the idea.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

thanks for sharing. As for the Velcro around the doors....where you able to leave the Velcro around the double doors so you can shut the door? Or would you have to peel off Velcro when done with the screen? Just wondering how you could shut the doors with it on???

thanks
Babsy
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

I'm getting ready to make a new one - hopefully before my trip next weekend - I will post when I do.

I like the velcro idea as well. May try that.
There's actually a good amount of room on the sides around the doors - the velcro shouldn't be a problem.
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

yes, please post with pictures too :D

thanks
babsy
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

babsy wrote:thanks for sharing. As for the Velcro around the doors....where you able to leave the Velcro around the double doors so you can shut the door? Or would you have to peel off Velcro when done with the screen? Just wondering how you could shut the doors with it on???
Our velcro was permanently installed and didn't have to be removed. I'd be careful about where you place in it the frame just so you don't cause any issues with the door closing, but honestly I forgot it was even there after a while.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

I bought the Sreenz products for the front windows and they work very well. But, I agree, for the door they are v. pricey. I think Sportsmobile also makes one for the Ford vans, but could not find it on their website. The DIY approach I might have to try this summer...
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997

Post by Mark »

Theskeeterbeater.com screens are very good although not custom fit for the side and back doors.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
Sheila G
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 2000

Post by Sheila G »

I recently made screens for both the side and back doors for my B-190 by using the portable magnetic door screens that are sold for house doorways. I cut them to size and used black Gorilla tape, magnets and velcro. They work great and cost me a total of $25 for everything (I already had the Gorilla tape) I can go in and out of the side door and they close up automatically with the magnets.

Cheers.
SheilaG
hotone41
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Post by hotone41 »

Sheila G wrote:I recently made screens for both the side and back doors for my B-190 by using the portable magnetic door screens that are sold for house doorways. I cut them to size and used black Gorilla tape, magnets and velcro. They work great and cost me a total of $25 for everything (I already had the Gorilla tape) I can go in and out of the side door and they close up automatically with the magnets.

Cheers.
SheilaG
Would love to see a picture, Sheila. I was able to make pretty good rear screen, but not really satisfied with my side door attempt.