What draws off of 12 votl

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
babsy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

What draws off of 12 votl

Post by babsy »

Hi,
I have a 1998 and it seems like something is drawing on my 12 volt that I'm not aware of. It's charging fine with engine running and with shore power but when I let it sit for a day without anything presumably drawing from it the battery indicator a drop from good to fair? I do have a inline carbon meter ( new one ,not orig) and I know it must draw something but wouldn't think enough to go from good to fair charge in a day? Any thing I'm missing that could be drawing on it? I've checked all lights, refrid to be sure it's not set to 12 volt. Could it just be that the battery is failing even though it charges up? how can I determine if battery is old and just not holding charge?

any all help appreciated
Barbara
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Re: What draws off of 12 votl

Post by lido14co »

Your auto parts store should be able to test your battery for free or if you have a voltmeter you can test it yourself. Not sure what an inline carbon meter is ( co detector?) or how it's connected. The fridge on 12v doesn't run off the house battery, it runs off the engine battery/alternator when the engine is running so that isn't the problem. If you disconnect the inline meter do you still get a drain? If so, and the battery checks out ok you probably have a short so call in the professionals. Hopefully it's just an old battery. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

If your house battery checks out okay, start pulling the 12 v fuses to see which one is drawing current. If you have a multimeter with an ammeter you can hook it up to the battery first to see if there is current draw with everything supposedly off. If there is current draw, pull a fuse at a time until no current draw. Then see what is on the circuit drawing current.

There is:
stove fan - could be stuck but switch in on position
stove light - could be on but hard to tell in daylight
upper berth lights
porch light
roof antenna consul with lighter outlet - water can run down the coax right to the circuit board
ceiling light
sink light
reading lights over sofa
shower fan
water pump left on
etc.

good luck

Phil
babsy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998

Post by babsy »

thank you. I'll definitely get a hold of a voltage meter that shows amps too. I've check everything on that list and nothing is inadvertently on....I'll let you know what I find out when I put the battery on a meter.

thanks
Barb
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Mgittrich »

The power front seats also draw off the house battery.