A couple questions about my new (to me) B190

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Yahtzee
New User
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

A couple questions about my new (to me) B190

Post by Yahtzee »

I just recently purchased a 1996 with the 7.5L 460 cu in V8. It made the 350 mile/6 hr drive from Riverton, WY (elevation 4900') to Edwards, CO (elevation 7200'). It made it 5 hrs into the trip without any issues. Right about the 5 hr mark I was coming through quite a few ups and downs on the road and felt a shutter as if the engine wasn't getting enough fuel. Shortly after that on a flat stretch of highway I begin decelerating even though I was pushing down on the throttle. I put it in neutral and revved the engine and the RPM increased. I pulled over and shut the engine off for few minutes. After that break it made it the rest of the way home. I changed the fuel filter but that didn't seem to do the trick. I'm thinking it maybe a throttle position sensor? The check engine light comes on shortly after starting the vehicle and stays on. The airbag light also comes on intermittently. I've been to both Autozone and Oreilly's and neither scanner could get a reading. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Flip
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: A couple questions about my new (to me) B190

Post by skater »

You need that code before you start throwing parts at it. It could be a lot of things.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Yahtzee wrote:I just recently purchased a 1996 with the 7.5L 460 cu in V8. It made the 350 mile/6 hr drive from Riverton, WY (elevation 4900') to Edwards, CO (elevation 7200'). It made it 5 hrs into the trip without any issues. Right about the 5 hr mark I was coming through quite a few ups and downs on the road and felt a shutter as if the engine wasn't getting enough fuel. Shortly after that on a flat stretch of highway I begin decelerating even though I was pushing down on the throttle. I put it in neutral and revved the engine and the RPM increased. I pulled over and shut the engine off for few minutes. After that break it made it the rest of the way home. I changed the fuel filter but that didn't seem to do the trick. I'm thinking it maybe a throttle position sensor? The check engine light comes on shortly after starting the vehicle and stays on. The airbag light also comes on intermittently. I've been to both Autozone and Oreilly's and neither scanner could get a reading. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Flip
I think all '96's are OBD2 correct? If the check engine light comes on, the computer should be throwing a code.

Were they able to connect to your computer successfully? ...or not at all? If not, I would first clean the contacts and see if someone can get a reading.

Also, look under the hood to see if any wires in the harness have been chewed through. Two of mine attached to my OBD1 harness were snipped clean through when I bought my rig. Varmints!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

I called a good friend who owns a shop (The Ford Dr's) I like you were thinking fuel filter or fuel supply Chris said sometimes when the fuel pump starts to go out it will drop pressure but not quit all the way and always doesn't generate a code.
Being I've spent 30+ years on the road iv seen my share of pranksters one in particular that comes to mind in your situation is a rag in the fuel tank anything is possible on a used vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

190-b-651 wrote:I called a good friend who owns a shop (The Ford Dr's) I like you were thinking fuel filter or fuel supply Chris said sometimes when the fuel pump starts to go out it will drop pressure but not quit all the way and always doesn't generate a code.
Being I've spent 30+ years on the road iv seen my share of pranksters one in particular that comes to mind in your situation is a rag in the fuel tank anything is possible on a used vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

I agree with your intuition on the fuel pump. There is a whole topic on that issue in here.

If the codes are not retrievable, It's pretty easy to test the fuel pressure. A set of gauges is about $35, if you don't know someone who could lend you a set.

Equus 3640 Professional Fuel Injection Pressure Tester Amazon $35-$40
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Summit Ford in Silverthorne may be a good option to read your code. They have a guy who specializes in all the older Fords and successfully read codes on my 1994 b190 (OBD1). Better still, I had them do the indicated fix (O2 sensor that time...) and that did the trick. I'm surprised that the parts stores could not read your OBD2, however.

Way before that, I had other engine issues and replacing the fuel pump fixed that problem. I wrote that up on this forum.

Good luck and welcome to the club. This is a great forum!

Keystone (in Keystone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keystone
B190 4x4