Finding replacement parts and complete van rebuild?

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Sector9surf
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Finding replacement parts and complete van rebuild?

Post by Sector9surf »

I couldn't find a category for B190 restores or modification, to see where people are getting parts or how they are rebuilding ones which have no interior, so I'm posting here for now.

I've found the largest selection on Ebay RV parts for replacements. However, as I'm sure many know already "finding" a part and actually ordering "the correct one" is another challenge. (Especially when you don't know what the original was)...

Are there any resources which sell or deal B190 specific parts? Most of the parts I'm ordering are nearly universal but I want to avoid purchasing a part which doesn't fit if I can avoid the hassle. A few of the parts are; the power inlet, city water inlet, probably upgrade to a new power converter etc...
Will these will work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Accessory ... eH&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Power-200B ... ER&vxp=mtr

Is the original power inlet for a 20A or 30A hookup? (Edit: Nevermind I looked at the label on the van and answered my own question. It's a 30A)

Other modifications I'm planning on doing, since everything has already been disconnected in mine are...
1. I'm getting away from the propane and going completely solar. (The solar panel is there already, we just don't have the charge monitor.)
2. Generator is missing so I'll be using the spot as a combo storage/ battery compartment or placing the deep cycle batteries under the bench if I find room.
3. All the original wiring is disconnected or gone so I will be doing some wire chasing. (Probably just run new wires, may have to replace the thermal cloth insulation which runs alongside the frame. If anyone knows where this is sold, that would be a great resource. I might try Autozone. )
4. All our tank monitors have been cut or removed, I will have get new ones and hook them back up or figure out from the color codes which wires are which for the grey and black water tanks and rewire new monitors for that. (Not really looking forward to that one. LOL)
5. We are keeping the roof top A/C and 12v fans/vents (They work great for cooling)
6. For cooking we are just going with a portable camp stove.
7. I'm looking for a NEW tub to replace the old fiberglass one. Maybe even upgrade it to something a little bigger.
8.Finally for the water heater, we found solar heater panels for around $150 which are made for RV's. Does anyone have feedback on those?

The list goes on, but is good enough for now. :wink: If anyone has experience with any of the items, mentioned for our rebuild that would be a great help! Thanks!
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Re: Finding replacement parts and complete van rebuild?

Post by micabarry »

Hey, Good luck with your project. I've rebuilt 2 vintage Airstream trailers and it's a bit different but I found some basic items on Vintage Trailer Supply for my B190. Fantastic fans, water heaters, pumps, , bathroom fan, electrical needs, are all about the same. May want to consider a stove top to replace stove. They have a good Web site. Once again, good luck. Barry
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Re: Finding replacement parts and complete van rebuild?

Post by usachris »

I've had to scratch around for parts, not finding a "one stop shop" for all my B190 needs. I am very fortunate though in that the previous owners kept meticulous records and saved all the info from Airstream. Having all the product information, plumbing - wiring - propane line schematics and owner/operator resources have been a God send in completing the few projects I have attempted.

I have "The World's Best 1999 B190" if you also have a 1999, I'd be willing to share what I have if it will help your restoration project. If yours is a different model year, I'm sure someone in this forum might have be able to help. Good luck and please post photos of your restoration!
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352