Gps

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Gps

Post by Choptop »

slapthecat wrote:I just had mine painted in March (the body - I did the top myself using marine paint - paint and supplies probably ran around $300... I stopped keeping track...!)
I went to a few places - got quotes everywhere from $2500 to $4000 (my paint was in REEEEALLY bad shape). I eventually found a guy who banged it out for $1700. Not showroom condition, but it's all one color and well protected! (He used Imron paint - airplane/bus paint - good stuff!)
Good to know, thanks !!
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Thanks slapthecat.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Slapthecat I've stopped keeping track of the $ just for my own sanity. But the wife not so much...lol

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

slapthecat wrote:I just had mine painted in March (the body - I did the top myself using marine paint - paint and supplies probably ran around $300... I stopped keeping track...!)
I went to a few places - got quotes everywhere from $2500 to $4000 (my paint was in REEEEALLY bad shape). I eventually found a guy who banged it out for $1700. Not showroom condition, but it's all one color and well protected! (He used Imron paint - airplane/bus paint - good stuff!)

Ok, hold on here...When you said you did the top yourself are you talking about the fiberglass top? The body of the van looks really pretty good except of a spot or two on the hood but, the fiberglass top just looks really dull and the lettering "needs" to be replaced. Help me understand what you painted because would love for it to be the same color.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Gps thing kina got sidetracked a little, still looking and reading up on them, I am kind of a Garmin guy, have a Nuvi for the car and a Zumo for the bike and I see they have a RV line for us also. From what I have read you put the length, width, height and weight of you rv and it routes you according to the dimensions, sounds good but from what I have read, much like truckers gps's, they have a totally different way to route you than a car, which makes sense unless you have a b190 where really the only thing you have to worry about is the height. So that being said I really don't want to be routed the same as a 40' motorhome and more often then not, that seams to be the case. The idea of the rv related waypoints, such as campgrounds, repair facilities... would be nice to have access to.
I like to have a dedicated gps, I have used my phone and it is great until you don't have service, I always carry a map as back up and anyone that does a lot of traveling will tell you to not blindly trust a gps, check it's routing against say google maps or say basecamp or even have another cheap gps around.
I will pick one up and I think I will go w/the rv unit that you can also use in "car" mode so you can check the differences between were it will route you in rv mode and car mode. I just like the convenience of knowing were the next rest stop, gas station, restaurant, gentleman's 8O club is in relationship to were I am.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Ended up picking up a gps today, refurbished Garmin Dezl 760LMT GPS, never used after purchased, watched a lot of videos on it and for the money I paid, it will be a good addition to the B.