winterizing

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: winterizing

Post by skater »

micabarry wrote:I'm seeing a shutoff that stops the cold from entering hot water tank but I can't see a shut off on the hot water pipe coming out of the tank or a connection (by pass) between cold lines and hot lines like the diagram Skater posted. Do you see that arrangement? Somehow the cold line, after it routes past your shut off on the inlet to the tank has to connect to the hot lines to winterize them. Normally this connection is the tank itself so by by passing you eliminate the tank. But if you have a connection some where, you also have to have a shutoff of the outlet of the tank Otherwise the cold will bypass the inlet of the tank, go into the hot lines and fill the tank through the outlet pipe. If you trace out what happens once the water passes the shutoff in the picture you should be able to tell if you have it set up right. Glad you see figuring out the B as an enjoyable challenge. Rest assured that there are many of us out here that feel the same way. Let us know what you find.
The new brass fitting at the exit of the tank should be a check valve, so a manual valve shouldn’t be needed there.

As long as you’re changing the setting of the valve at the inlet, it should be working... I’m not sure why it wouldn’t!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

I am not sure the bypass was done correctly then. I put the shutoff controls in the direction I was told to winterize and when I tried to run the antifreeze through the hot water line side by opening up those faucets nothing would come out unless, I opened back up the line on the tank(filling the tank some) which negates the "bypass" attempt.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

mountaindent wrote:I am not sure the bypass was done correctly then. I put the shutoff controls in the direction I was told to winterize and when I tried to run the antifreeze through the hot water line side by opening up those faucets nothing would come out unless, I opened back up the line on the tank(filling the tank some) which negates the "bypass" attempt.
The only thing I can think of is that the valve on the tee doesn't work the way you expect, so you're shutting it off entirely instead of diverting the flow to the other direction of the tee. I don't know if that's even possible...I'll try to dig out the kit I have (had - I'm not sure if I still have it or not) and take a look.

mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

I can see what you are saying and when the service tech set the direction maybe if it could turn the other way completely the problem would be solved. I thought I tried that but, it would not move that way. Could it be they put that in part in reverse? Anyway, I would rather not blame anyone and think it is my user error at first and try and see what I am doing wrong.

I have taken the camper for her last appointment before my spring traveling days so can not check the valve right now till Friday. I found a place in West Asheville,NC that will bring back her original Airstream stripes and logos for a very reasonable price. The detailer is cleaning the fiberglass top and new stripes after using some "compound" to clean and buff the surface. After this work...I am only doing what has to be done for travel and maintenance(sure there will be something). The camper is ready to have some fun and so am I....around here there are some cold, snowy days but, they are rare and some very warm days where I will drive her around some and maybe even camp using the campgrounds facilities and only using the bed to sleep. That way no winterizing again...but, it would be good practice!
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Choptop »

Spent a week down in Maggie Valley back in July, nice area. May be in Cherokee for a bike rally next August.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Choptop wrote:Spent a week down in Maggie Valley back in July, nice area. May be in Cherokee for a bike rally next August.
Maggie Valley is very nice.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park is nearby so looking forward to exploring more there. Fun area in Western NC or North Georgia mountains. Lots of ups and down...and, hiking.

Try to make the Nantahala Outdoor Center near Bryson City where you can go rafting. Or watch others raft and sit and have lunch at the restaurant there.
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

I have a friend in Asheville I often stop to visit with my rig. I'd be very interested in the detailer' name and price if you end up happy with the work. I've bought some striping and wheels to take the old stuff off but made kind of a mess, even taking paint off and my first attempt to put the big 3" stripe back on was a real disaster. Had it stuck everywhere except where it was suppose to be.I think I'm out of my league.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

micabarry wrote:I have a friend in Asheville I often stop to visit with my rig. I'd be very interested in the detailer' name and price if you end up happy with the work. I've bought some striping and wheels to take the old stuff off but made kind of a mess, even taking paint off and my first attempt to put the big 3" stripe back on was a real disaster. Had it stuck everywhere except where it was suppose to be.I think I'm out of my league.
A man needs to know his limitations. :D I have yet to stop discovering mine. :(
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

What! There are limitations!
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

micabarry wrote:I have a friend in Asheville I often stop to visit with my rig. I'd be very interested in the detailer' name and price if you end up happy with the work. I've bought some striping and wheels to take the old stuff off but made kind of a mess, even taking paint off and my first attempt to put the big 3" stripe back on was a real disaster. Had it stuck everywhere except where it was suppose to be.I think I'm out of my league.
Cheadle's Art Design
Cheadles Art & Sign  
WebsiteDirections
14 Google reviews
Sign shop in Asheville, North Carolina
Address: 359 Haywood Rd, Asheville, NC 28806
Hours: Open today · 9AM–5PM

Phone: (828) 254-2600
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

Thank you!
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

mountaindent wrote:I can see what you are saying and when the service tech set the direction maybe if it could turn the other way completely the problem would be solved. I thought I tried that but, it would not move that way. Could it be they put that in part in reverse? Anyway, I would rather not blame anyone and think it is my user error at first and try and see what I am doing wrong.
Okay, first, I'm sorry it took me so long to look into this, but I finally got to it tonight. Yes, the valve can be installed incorrectly, at least in my kit.

Under the handle in the picture is a "C" (you can see part of it under the handle), and that end must feed into the water heater. If the valve was reversed, it would work fine when open, but on the bypass setting, there would be no way for the water to get into the bypass line.

mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

skater wrote:
mountaindent wrote:I can see what you are saying and when the service tech set the direction maybe if it could turn the other way completely the problem would be solved. I thought I tried that but, it would not move that way. Could it be they put that in part in reverse? Anyway, I would rather not blame anyone and think it is my user error at first and try and see what I am doing wrong.
Okay, first, I'm sorry it took me so long to look into this, but I finally got to it tonight. Yes, the valve can be installed incorrectly, at least in my kit.

Under the handle in the picture is a "C" (you can see part of it under the handle), and that end must feed into the water heater. If the valve was reversed, it would work fine when open, but on the bypass setting, there would be no way for the water to get into the bypass line.
Skater, I am glad that you figured out what I was struggling with on this winterization. It is an interesting intellectual process when you go through the steps and the result does not work correctly, as expected or the result makes one scratch your head wondering what happened. It should have been an easy and smooth process. Good news is the last thing the business said is "we stand behind our work and guarantee it". So, I will take it back there and get it resolved for next season of winterization. I agree had the valve just turned the other way it would have bypassed the water heater and the result predictable. I hope this has helped others if they decide to invest in a bypass. However, can you imagine the tech with this tight a space and effort having to change it? I feel for them but, want it corrected. Thanks again!
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

So, after figuring out that the bypass to hot water heater had been placed incorrectly(and, it did get corrected?) thanks to Skater's thought process...I felt confident and secure the bypass was a great addition until I went camping and during the water-flush clearing, all the antifreeze out the lines the connector to the hot water bypass started leaking. It did enough leaking to where I was using the wet vac and drying out any remaining carpet under the sink with a ceramic heater. Of course, I have very little carpet because pulled it up after the first leak on the side of shower lines but, that got fixed and has held for months.

CampingWorld said bring it back(for the fourth time for this same issue) but, I took it to some buddies at the KOA here in East Asheville which was way closer to my house and they took off the connector that was obviously leaking. The guys took the plumbing tape off and put some sealer grease looking stuff then re-attached the connector and Wa La...it did not leak anymore. They did not even charge me for that!

It has been an ongoing saga but, this story seems to have come to a happy ending finally.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

good to hear !!