SOLAR OPTIONS

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Nandi108
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

SOLAR OPTIONS

Post by Nandi108 »

Hi everyone,
I looked at a few links indicated in this forum about solar system but seems to be more elaborated than what I am intending. I am thinking about having one 100w panel connected to the standard Ford house battery located under the hood only when needed (when camping in nature without using engine for more than a day). I am thinking about storing the solar panel behind the couch. I would use simple electric clamps to connect to the battery and find the best spot and angle to catch the sun rays with a support of some sort...
I wonder if anyone has a similar setting or why not. If so, any advise about the charge controller ? We just bought our camper and want to improve by little steps before possibly doing more long-term improvements. We are planning on being in Joshua tree and Baja for a good part of the winter (mid-January to mid-March) as a trial period...
Thanks
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Re: SOLAR OPTIONS

Post by micabarry »

Using alligator clips and a solar panel works but you would be safer (at least in my opinion) to have a simple charge controller between panel and battery. I have used this portable system for 25 years because I like the flexibility of chasing the sun around, especially if I'm parked under trees. You can hard wire the controller under the hood somewhere, my current one isn't much bigger than a pack of cigarettes, and attach the output wires directly to your house battery and a female plug to the wires from the controller that will receive power from solar panel. Instead of alligator clips, attach a male plug on the output of the solar panel. I would recommend plugs used for this purpose but not sure its necessary. Probably any 12v plug would do. You still have the flexibility of storing your panel inside. Not sure about behind the couch. That wouldn't work in my rig for a 100w but maybe yours is different. Depends on the dimensions. If you haven't bought it yet I would encourage you to think about building a nice cover for your tub (There are links on this site or I can send you my pic) and getting 2 panels that will lay flat on this and will link up when you are stopped and ready to go. Not sure many of us actually use the shower for anything but storage. Having a cover allows you to store stuff you hardly ever need in the tub and other stuff, like solar panels, on top. If your desperate for a shower you can open the back doors in a remote spot and stand outside. The hose just about reaches. I tried storing my 80w in the closet but its real crowded in there. Went to 2, 40's. Another option is to consider a folding panel. GoSolar is a company that makes Solar Generators and flexible panels. Good luck!
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

Nandi-
I can appreciate you not wanting to get too complex. However, I recommend that you carefully read the specs of the solar panel that you are considering.

Yes, technically you can install a low power 12volt solar panel directly to the battery. I use a 12 volt 5 watt solar panel directly on my tow car battery when it is not in use. That small panel is fine for applying a trickle charge to the battery to keep in from running down in storage. However, the low amperage output would be way too low to recharge a B190 house battery when boondocking. It simply can't put enough amperage back in the battery to make up what you are likely to use in a day.

And most higher output solar panels that are rated 12volts will still put out voltage well above what the battery manufacturers recommend as maximum charge voltage. So if you do not use a charge controller you risk permanent damage to your battery with the higher current output and voltages that exceed your battery manufacture's spec for your particular battery. Your may save money on the no charge controller setup only to lose that money with dramatically shortened battery life.

Nothing wrong with your idea of a portable solar panel for recharging the battery. However, I would advise that you run it through a charge controller.

Bogart Engineering's SC-2030 is a highly regarded charge controller for use with small 12volt solar systems. It would be perfect for your 100w panel.

http://www.bogartengineering.com/
1993 Airstream B190
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Definitely get the controller and maybe upgrade your house battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

Nandi, I meant Goal Solar as the company to check out, not GoSolar. Pricey but neat stuff. I have the 400w solar generator which is my backup to house battery. Has A.C. outlet so I can run my 110 cord directly in and power heater or anything from 110 outlets, but not A/C. It fits behind drivers seat and charges off my solar panel or any shore power. If you are planning to do Baja and National Parks and don't plan to use generator you may want to consider a second battery or something like the solar generator. I suggest spending $$ for an AGM battery so you can safely carry it inside your rig. Reguar marine/rv batteries are suppose to be vented. S
Apologize if I'm telling you what you already know.
Nandi108

Post by Nandi108 »

I guess my message was unclear... (excuse my French as ... I am French!). I am planning on using a charge controller, I was just unsure which one to get for this kind of simple setting. The Bogart seems like a really recommended one. I thought I may start with something smaller/cheaper but I understand that it is important to have a good controller.
Did anyone replace the battery located under the hood with a better quality one which would have similar size and fit without much adjustment?
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

Nandi-
Here is a link to a recent thread discussing batteries and solar. I'm not sure if you saw it or not. Also I recommend that you search B190.com for the terms "solar" and "battery" and you'll find several more discussion threads which you may find helpful.

http://b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2643
1993 Airstream B190
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Nandi108 wrote:Did anyone replace the battery located under the hood with a better quality one which would have similar size and fit without much adjustment?
I put a Lifeline battery in mine, and two more in our trailer. They have a good reputation for quality. I also noticed that they have a higher capacity than what I was using before, the Optima Blue Top (for the trailer, it was 100 amp-hours versus 66 amp-hours - this meant we were able to go from three batteries in the trailer down to two, saving money, weight, and complexity, and still having a higher capacity).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Nandi108

Post by Nandi108 »

Thanks for all the useful info!