Whats it worth?

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
DavidP
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Whats it worth?

Post by DavidP »

I don't know why this thread died in 2017 but for me it is worth every penny I have spent keeping her in perfect operating condition. When I started looking for a B class the Airstream was the only one that had a big block power plant and best chasses, Ford. You aren't going to clime a mountain in a 9000+ lb vehicle with a little 350, 351 or 360. Unless you don't mind doing 25 MPH. And in my option, it has the perfect layout for me and my girl to run up and down the east coast to race my hare scrambles. Fully self contained 2-3 days off grid with all the other racers camping and racing. Our Saturday night prerace meal is Porterhouse steaks baked potato and a green vegetable for less then $20! This is our home away from home and it has all that we need to live comfortably including the kitchen sink! And you don't have to ask my girl if she would rather use a port-a-potty! Here is a pic of my old ass on my old KTM.
83592309-D6+Adult-168.jpg
83592309-D6+Adult-168.jpg (168.25 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
bolivera
New User

Post by bolivera »

I don't have a B190 yet, but I've wondered about this. We are talking about a 25 year old vehicle. I see prices running from 8k to 20+k. I understand condition and mileage effects price.

As far as extras, upgrading from original can add value. But just adding "prettys" don't add value. Scarcity adds to price I know.

Personally, I can see 12k to 14k for a unit in good condition. But in the pictures I've seen of 20k units, I don't see the justification.

I have restored cars and truth is the cost of the restoration many times is more than what you can get when you sell unless you are able to fabricate the parts yourself.
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Post by kstills »

As a new (soon to be) owner, I'll add my two cents.

Well maintained, this rig was built to last. Mine was well maintained, so while it needs updating and some repairs, the interior is unbelievable for a 26 year old vehicle, let alone a motorhome.

Now, what is it worth? The Airstream B van closest in size to our B van is the Interstate 19. Take a look at it, from the tiny wet bath, the teeny tiny kitchen area, the what looks to be uncomfortable convertible sofa bed, to the almost complete lack of storage and realize you're just paid 200k if you bought it. Granted, it's pretty inside, and the Sprinter will get better gas mileage than my old 460 Ford. But it won't tow another Airstream trailer behind it, so there's that.

I intend to update my rig, the bath will cost ~3k, the sofa ~1k (if you know of a jacknife that fits in there, let me know), sink and faucet ~400. Curtains and pillows around 500, and new covers for the seats about the same. New flooring almost nothing. That leaves all my big expenses for a bigger battery bank, solar and potentially 4WD. Assume, at the HIGH end, 20k for the battery system, and 17k for the 4WD (which I'm not sure I can even get for this rig) and total into the updates would be 46k. For that price, I'm able to get off grid and stay off grid for weeks at a time. (oops, rig costs 20k, so 66k out the door). At 7 feet wide, this rig could go where a lot of truck campers couldn't.

So, stuff will break. None of the systems currently in the rig will bankrupt me if they have to be replaced. Even if they all have to be replaced. But for under 75 grand, I'll have a complete overlanding rig, and if I can't get the 4WD done, for under 58k I'll have a very versatile off grid rig. My plan was to spend 200k after retirement to buy a TC and 4WD truck, so if the question again is what is this worth, it's working out to be about 125k. 8)

On top of all that, my wife loves the thing. It was my preferred rig the entire time I was looking at RV's, and having her buy in the moment she saw it made it a done deal.