b190 gas mileage

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
kat
New User

b190 gas mileage

Post by kat »

Just wondering what kind of MPG everyone is getting. I am looking at a 94 ford 190 with a 460 engine. The only concern I have about the vehicle is the large engine. Any one have a similar one that can share what you get in mileage?
Thanks,
Kat
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Heh. We started a thread on this but it quickly went off-topic (or at least kinda went away from the original intent). (Moved to Basic Questions.)

I get about 12 mpg solo and 9.5-10 mpg while towing a car. Not great but not bad considering what it is. I have the 460 as well.

I've heard the 350 doesn't do as well because it has to work harder, but I don't know how true it is. I've never heard anything on the V10's mileage.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

12-13 here....next trip out I'm gonna try a slight speed reduction to 50/55mph over the 1000 miles to prince Rupert to see what difference that might make

The V10 does get a little better fuel mileage....those engines are used in the 1997 and later rigs....

Bob would be a good one to answer about V10 mileage...
lv2roam
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Post by lv2roam »

I have a 1998 with the V-10 and milage varies depending on what I am towing and if I am on the open road or not. Around town I get 10 mpg or maybe slightly less irregardless of what I haul. On the open road I usually get 12 mpg if I keep the speed around 65. But, if I am towing my Casita (about 3,000 pounds), I get between 10 and 11.

I know others seem to get better milage but I can't seem to get out of the 10 -12 mpg range. Not horrible considering I am often traveling with a two bedroom, two bath house. Oh, and three grandkids.

Bob
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I have a 1993 B190, with about 60K miles, 460 engine. I averaged 12.6 mpg in 2006 on a 9000 mile trip that included about 4 nights of running the genset for roof AC, and much of the trip was in areas with extreme hills and slow curves. Included a 30 mile stretch we had to drive in first or second gear, California 245 South, just outside Sequoia N. Park. Also Muir Woods N. P. and drive up the coast from Morro Rock/Bay to middle of Oregon, then to Glacier N.P. with still more mountains. I drove 62 mph when conditions allowed. In 2005 and 2007 I drove 6000 miles each year to Glacier and return to Georgia, and again got 12.5 mpg. In 2004, instead of the B190, I pulled a 19ft hybrid travel trailer with a 2002 F150 and got 11.5 mpg.
Some of the things I have learned:
1. Ignore the mileage on the first tank of gas, it will be terrible due to old gas. (Included in above figures)
2. I get about 14 mpg on fairly flat terrain at about 65 mph w/o out AC.
3. Slower is better, cruise control is better (To my surprise).
4. AC is a gas guzzler, about 2 mpg, which is very significant at 12.5 mpg. I run the dash AC on MAX, to dehumidify air, as this setting does not use outside air. Have the fan on highest setting. Then when it gets a little too cool, turn AC off completely. I can then drive 10 or 15 minutes w/o AC before it gets too warm. The dry air helps to keep it more comfortable at a higher temperature. The AC uses same amount of gasoline regardless of the fan speed, so cool down ASAP and then turn it off.
5. On the last trip, I noticed we seem to get much better mileage with 10% ethanol, which usually was a little higher octane. Also the brand name gasolines seened to do better. I ALWAYS use the cheap gas when available. This year I plan to experiment with a few tanks of midgrade octane instead of the minimun 87, and with the name brands. As the price per gallon goes up, the midgrade may become a much better buy, as the percentage difference becomes much smaller. This year I will also try to slow down to 55mph when traffic is light. I speed up as necessary to avoid being a hazard.
6. Use "Energy conserving oil" as specified by Ford, keep a clean air filter, and check that tire pressure. I travel with almost empty water tanks, and buy my canned goods, etc when I near my destination. I found since I am alone or have only one passenger, I don't need the heavy particle board bed slide extension and mattress section, and the ladder, as we just step up onto the couch to get onto the upper bunk.
7. Traveling across country, I try to fill my tank when prices are low. A check on the internet will help you see where gas is high, so you can try to drive through those states/cities with minimum purchases.
8. I figure this year I could take my 30MPG car, spend $60 per night for 6 nights on the road in a cheap motel vs free nights in B190/Welcome Centers, sleep 30 nites on the ground in a tent, cook on a camp stove and use the pit toilets and save $400. Looks like my B190 will be my choice, at least until gas reaches $5 per gallon.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Wow - you are getting great mileage, Ernie. I can do 12 MPG or so but only when I drive VERY gently, not towing anything, and the wind cooperates (and the land is relatively flat). Also, that only works when I'm lucky enough to not have much DC traffic to deal with. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit