Bought a B190 yesterday... a few easy/basic questions:

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Bought a B190 yesterday... a few easy/basic questions:

Post by Millennial Falcon »

OK, I bought my low mileage 1995 B190 from a man yesterday. He had inherited it, and knew NOTHING about the van... and although I have a lot of the vehicles original paperwork, I do not have an owner's manual that has a basic walk-through of how to use/activate things. I can figure most of it out from youtube videos, but for things specific to the B190 I'm hoping you guys can help!

I've done my research, and read a lot... but I have a few basic questions.

First, I was not able to get any DC equipment to turn on in the vehicle, so I assumed the Coach Battery was disconnected. I found this guillotine connector under the hood on the passenger side, and closed it [see below for a picture]. Now the equipment turns on, but very dimly. Does the Coach battery charge if this connector is open? I assume it needs to be closed to charge the battery during charging... but do most people disconnect the battery when they are away from the camper? Is there a better disconnect people have used? Should I consider repositioning the circuit to an interior switch to more easily engage/open the Coach battery circuit?

Secondly, what is the red illuminating switch below the tank monitor? I think it is the water-heater, correct?
Third, What are the items on the battery/tank monitor panel? Holding Tank #1 is that usually Grey? Is Holding Tank #2 usually the Black? The BAT COND indicator measuring the Coach battery, not the chassis battery, correct?

Fourth, For the upper cabinet switches... what is the small black switch above the 12-volt outlet and beside the cable TV coax plug? I know the white house-light switch is UP to power the cieling AirCon and DOWN to power the microwave outlet.
Fifth, What is the hole in the middle of the wall for? Was there a monitor panel there that was maybe removed when the unit's generator was removed? It looks like a factory drilled hole, but what went there?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Bought a B190 yesterday... a few easy/basic questions:

Post by skater »

First, I was not able to get any DC equipment to turn on in the vehicle, so I assumed the Coach Battery was disconnected. I found this guillotine connector under the hood on the passenger side, and closed it [see below for a picture]. Now the equipment turns on, but very dimly. Does the Coach battery charge if this connector is open? I assume it needs to be closed to charge the battery during charging... but do most people disconnect the battery when they are away from the camper? Is there a better disconnect people have used? Should I consider repositioning the circuit to an interior switch to more easily engage/open the Coach battery circuit?
The battery is likely run down. From the picture, the guillotine switch would prevent the battery from charging, because it completely disconnects the ground, so there's no complete circuit.

If you aren't using the camper and it's in dead storage, that disconnect can help preserve the battery by removing parasitic drains, not that there are many in a B190. My B190 doesn't have a cutoff; our trailer does, but we never turn it off. But we also keep both at home, plugged in, so the 3-stage chargers in each keep the batteries topped off without overcharging them.

As for repositioning the switch, it's up to you. Usually you would only this occasionally. But on the other hand new trailers have a use/store button inside that serves the same purpose.
Secondly, what is the red illuminating switch below the tank monitor? I think it is the water-heater, correct?
Correct.
Third, What are the items on the battery/tank monitor panel? Holding Tank #1 is that usually Grey? Is Holding Tank #2 usually the Black? The BAT COND indicator measuring the Coach battery, not the chassis battery, correct?
I believe you are correct for the tanks - I can never remember. I have no idea why they couldn't be labeled appropriately. You are correct for the battery indicator. Note it will always show "fully charged" when the battery is charging (either because you're plugged in, the generator is running, or the engine is running) - it only shows a reliable estimate when you're only using the coach battery.
Fourth, For the upper cabinet switches... what is the small black switch above the 12-volt outlet and beside the cable TV coax plug?
TV antenna booster. There's a sticky FAQ thread that covers most of these in this forum.
Fifth, What is the hole in the middle of the wall for? Was there a monitor panel there that was maybe removed when the unit's generator was removed? It looks like a factory drilled hole, but what went there?
The generator control is next to the monitor panel. I'm not sure what would have been there - I haven't seen one with that hole before. Maybe a solar charge controller? Did it have solar panels at one point?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
DavidP
Weekend Camper

Post by DavidP »

That brand of guillotine switch sucks! I had nothing but problems with the one in my B. It had poor contact at times and almost replaced a good battery for nothing. Pit some foil on the lever for a temporary fix but we use our B almost every weekend so I just ditched it. 12V works every time now. Either get rid of it or purchase a different brand.
DavidP
Weekend Camper

Post by DavidP »

The hole in the wall is where my CO2 sensor is mounted. the one in my B is approx. 3x6"
highanglehalo
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Post by highanglehalo »

I relocated my CO detector near the floor, then I put a weather station on the wall to cover the hole.