GPS

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

GPS

Post by ChasingRain »

Anyone using a GPS navigation system? I'm thinking of getting one, but I'm wondering if the overhanging roof above the windshield would cause problems with satellite reception.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: GPS

Post by skater »

ChasingRain wrote:Anyone using a GPS navigation system? I'm thinking of getting one, but I'm wondering if the overhanging roof above the windshield would cause problems with satellite reception.
Nope. I don't have a navigation-type GPS, but a handheld one that you'd use for hiking, geocaching, and the like, and there's no problem at all with reception.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
SkipJ
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 6951

Post by SkipJ »

i have a plam that I purchased with TomTom software. I put the GPS on the dash and it works great. The problem is TomTom no longer supports it and I can't get updates for the maps.

I also have used Microsoft maping program on my laptop with a handheld gps and it worked fine.

All manufacturers GPS will not work with microsoft software. Several years ago, I read that one of the GPS manufacturers systems would only work with their software running on a laptop.
SkipJ