Where do Mice typically nest on a B190?

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Where do Mice typically nest on a B190?

Post by Millennial Falcon »

So where have you found a rodent nest on your B190?

I ask because... since the summer came and I've been in the heat I've been using fans a lot more. When my roof vent Maxxair is left on with the windows closed (or with not a BIG enough window open), it is pulling air from SOMEWHERE that smells of animal waste.

The scent appeared to come from mid/aft of the vehicle... so I pulled the microwave and I found a lot of droppings behind it in my 1994. I cleaned it out, Lysoled, and applied a liberal dose of Urine-B-Gone spray. That helped immensely, and the microwave compartment smells floral fresh now. However... if I operate boondock-style without AC for awhile... there is a not exactly faint smell of urine/mouse-poop that I assume is from air being sucked in over some old nest somewhere in the vehicle. I've opened all the cabinets and doors... and sniffed heavily... but I cannot seem to find it. I've tried opening all the doors on the outside of the vehicle, and see/smell nothing.

So, those doing rehabs... where have you found to be likely rodent nest areas? I am at a loss as to where this air is getting sucked in from, and where the smell is coming from.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Where do Mice typically nest on a B190?

Post by skater »

The exterior door latches on mine are not airtight (I think), so air can be pulled in that way. Have you looked in the door panels?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Where do Mice typically nest on a B190?

Post by Millennial Falcon »

FYI, for anyone with a similar situation to mine:

I found where they were nesting. Under the over-head bunk. Between the wooden panels under the mattress and the metal roof of the original van.

I pulled the boards, cleaned and scrubbed it all out... but the metal frame rails along the sides of the top of the original van were carrying the scent to the rear of the van. So, the vacuum created by turning on the vent fan was pulling air from the water drain / weep holes... pulling that air through that under-bed area... down the hollow frame rails... and sucking it out of the holes in those frame rails behind the microwave in the microwave compartment.

There must have bee some mouse residue inside those frame rails that I just couldn't access to clean out. So, I cleaned as best I could under the bed... and inside/behind the microwave... then filled both ends of the frame rail with expanding foam to stop air from flowing through it.

Problem solved!