What does the switch in the monitor panel do?

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

What does the switch in the monitor panel do?

Post by skater »

It's the switch for the water pump, which is used when you are not using city water - you'd fill the tank, then turn that switch on to pressurize the system and provide water when you need it.

When you flip the switch on, the pump should run for a moment to build pressure in the system (and don't worry - if it's working you should hear it), then shut off and stay off until you open a faucet. The pump is controlled by pressure - when the water pressure drops below a certain set amount, it kicks on, then when it exceeds a certain (higher) pressure, it shuts off.

A useful quirk of this system is that it's easy to test for leaks in the water system: let it build up pressure then do...nothing. If it turns on again, you have a leak somewhere. (Mine will sit for several hours before it needs to run again, so there might be a tiny leak somewhere, but I'm not going to worry about it - but if it's kicking on a couple times an hour or more, definitely start looking.)

In my '91 the pump is mounted inside the right rear door - there's a small access panel there and you can see the pump just inside.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit