power window repair

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
tallakguy
B190 Year: 1996

power window repair

Post by tallakguy »

My driver's side power window ceased to operate. Passenger side works and can be operated from driver's side. Any clues on how to repair?
1996 B190
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: power window repair

Post by skater »

tallakguy wrote:My driver's side power window ceased to operate. Passenger side works and can be operated from driver's side. Any clues on how to repair?
1996 B190
First question is whether it's the switch or the motor. Unfortunately I don't have any experience diagnosing those specifically, but I'd look to see if you can swap in the other switch to test it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
tallakguy

Post by tallakguy »

swap in the other switch? by switch i assume you refer to the gizmo located on the arm rest part of the door? motor is located who knows where. I thought maybe a blown fuse, and wonder if each window has its own fuse. Fuse box is located within the engine compartment and mighty difficult to access...
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

tallakguy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:31 pm
swap in the other switch? by switch i assume you refer to the gizmo located on the arm rest part of the door? motor is located who knows where. I thought maybe a blown fuse, and wonder if each window has its own fuse. Fuse box is located within the engine compartment and mighty difficult to access...
I meant the switch from the passenger door, just to test it.

I doubt they're on separate fuses, but it's possible.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by slapthecat »

I'd be happy to help if you need it - DM me. I've rebuilt one motor, replaced the other, and replaced both switches on my '90.

The switches aren't swappable - the driver side door has switches for driver and passenger window, the passenger side has switches for just the passenger window.

When you press the window switch, do you hear anything happen? The nylon gears in the motors can fall apart - you'll hear the motor spinning, but the window won't move. If that's the case, you just need the new nylon gears.

If you don't hear anything, could be power or the motor itself. The motors can seize up - a good whack on the motor with a hammer will sometimes get a few more up/downs out of it. Or could be power - but the fact that you can still control the passenger window makes me think power isn't the issue. My guess is the driver's switch is bad. The replacement is 901-305 Dorman - it's a different appearance (I think it says it's for the Astro van) but it fits and works.

If you have a multimeter, take off the panel to get to the motor. You can test for power at the motor itself - pressing the switch will give you either positive or negative DC voltage (one makes it go up, the other makes it go down). If you get power at the motor and it doesn't work, you're motor is bad. No power, switch is bad.
tallakguy

Post by tallakguy »

got it fixed! switches were bad! local shop had replacements on hand..minor miracle in Alaska. Thanks all for your replies.