Fuel pump no workie.

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Fuel pump no workie.

Post by Choptop »

Good afternoon, 1990 B190, have a bit of a problem. Gas gauges never worked, yet one time I looked down at it was working, then gone again. Was under it today while my grandson was watching the gauges w/the ignition on. I put my hand between the front tank and the frame and heard the pump kick on then off and my grandson said "what did you do because a check engine light came on" in the lower left of the cluster, he turned the key off, then back on, check engine light was gone but now it only cranks but know start. Checked the fuel shutoff switch on the right front side but it is still set. might have touched a bare wire and blew a fuse but the fuses under the steering column, appear to be all good, any fusible links I should look for concerning the fuel pump. Am I missing another fuse pane other than the one w/the turn signal blinker thing in it ?Thanks in advance.
Was told that I may have blown the fusible link that comes off of the starter solenoid, pulled the battery and looked at the 2 fusible links that come off of the solenoid behind the positive battery cable, link seems intact, not stretchy, will look closer tomorrow, have had enough sht for one day. If it isn't the fusable link, what else could I have blown by a wire, next to the front tank, touching the frame, causing the in tank fuel pump to start and stop quick and now engine will crank but not start. Thankshttps://b190.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1515
Attachments
Screenshot_20220613-194646.png
Screenshot_20220613-194646.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 2339 times
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Fuel pump no workie.

Post by skater »

There's also a fuel pump relay in the engine bay, passenger side, against the fender. They aren't expensive to replace so it might be worth throwing one at it and seeing what happens.

You can also read the codes. A modern code reader is for OBD II, which these aren't. Here's one guide. I've found these codes usually aren't helpful, but it's still worth checking.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Thank you Skater, going to give it another try today. May have a question or two later, thanks.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Well this is where I am at, still not starting, turn the key on and no hum from either of the in tank pumps or the frame mounted one. Installed a new Fuel Andy Dahl relay, no joy, will pic up a ECA relay this afternoon, also supplies power to the Fuel pump in some fashion. When Something touch, while I was under, and the in tank pump kicked on for a second, my grandson said the check engine light came on for a second, per the manual it is supposed to come on when I turn the key and start the engine, then go off, it does not come on at all, says to seek service. Fuse number 18, under the dash, for the fuel pump is good. The 2 fusible wires, at least one of which goes to starter, look good but I will probably cut and install fusible lines. What it boils down to at this time is I am not gettin poer to the fuel pumps.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Well this is where I am at, still not starting, turn the key on and no hum from either of the in tank pumps or the frame mounted one. Installed a new Fuel pump relay, no joy, will pic up a ECA relay this afternoon, also supplies power to the Fuel pump in some fashion. When Something touch, while I was under, and the in tank pump kicked on for a second, my grandson said the check engine light came on for a second, per the manual it is supposed to come on when I turn the key and start the engine, then go off, it does not come on at all, says to seek service. Fuse number 18, under the dash, for the fuel pump is good. The 2 fusible wires, at least one of which goes to starter, look good but I will probably cut
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

It lives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Put a new Fuel pump relay in, that wasn't it but after a little more reading the other relay had something to do w/the fuel pump so I picked one up and wala, it lives.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

It ended up being the other relay that is housed on the left engine compartment w/the fuel pump relay. She is going to a new owner tomorrow.