Flushing the black water tank

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Electraglide
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Flushing the black water tank

Post by Electraglide »

Hi folks,

Just bought a 1991 B190 last month after reviewing this site (great BTW) and moved it directly to a rv storage facility in town, so most of my learning process is via these forums and the Airstream manual.

So, here is my first question. The manual states that the black water tank should be refilled and flushed after it is drained, but it doesn't mention how to refill the tank? So how do you folks do it?
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Really the only way to do it without extra equipment is to hold the flush valve open.

You can get "wands" that hook to a garden hose that will let you fill it faster (though you'll still have to hold the flush valve open). Something like this, though they sell simpler models, too.

Or, you can get these things that hook on the drain pipe and allow you to backflush the blackwater tank. Here's an example.

Personally, I just refill it with the toilet once in a while, and I haven't had a problem. Also, I run a good bit of water into it before I dump it each time to help things flow smoothly.

Don't forget to use holding tank chemicals. Of course, if I forget to put some in, the smell usually reminds me pretty quickly!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Electraglide
Weekend Camper
WBCCI: 0

Post by Electraglide »

Thanks for the quick answer.

More questions to follow as I try to learn more about the rv
Wanderlost
Weekend Camper

Black water flush

Post by Wanderlost »

Here's something I do often to clean the tank and seems to help keep the sensors clean too. I put a bag of ice in the tank and let it slosh around while I drive
B190 1996