limited slip diff.

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
bobbyv
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 1

limited slip diff.

Post by bobbyv »

Hello, my wife and I are hoping to buy our first B190 very soon now, and needless to say I have a few hundred questions. One in particular is whether or not the 3.55 rear end is a limited slip diffefential. If it isn't, how hard would it be to change it out for one? Assuming you can even get a 3.55 LS. Also what about the cost factor. Any help would be appreciated. This is a great site, and Im really hooked on B190's. Thanks, Bobbyv
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

The Certification Plate, located on the lock face of the drivers door will show you an Axle Code

Ford axles codes contain one or two character.

Any code beginning with a letter (an alpha code) indicates the vehicle is equipped with a limited slip differential, with a couple exceptions

The data can be viewed here:

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog ... _posi.html

My 1991 rig shows: axle 33...which from the data in that website would be non-posi 3:54
Last edited by Alaskan on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Looking at the cover data below, counting the bolts (10) and measuring the width of the cover, 10 3/8", it appears to be a Dana 44 rear in my 1991...(6th gasket below).... it now appears there is some problem with the gasket pictures and the width measurements in the diagram below..

BUT....all data says the 1991 E350 came with a Dana 60-3, which is a full-floating axle which we do have....more research needed...stay tuned

UPDATE...From Ford...

#605420-1 (picture of my ID axle tag below) rear is a full-floater non-posi 3:54 Dana 60-3

Note #1 that #6 and number #7 below, these gaskets are not upright in the picture but rotated 90 degrees to the right

Note #2...both the Dana 44 and the Dana 60 have the same cover-bolt count. The printing there is kinda small but it looks like the Dana 44 has a cover just slightly over 10 3/8" wide and the Dana 60 has a cover 12 1/8" wide...

Cover plate ID tag between two cover-bolts....

Rear Cover information...

Last edited by Alaskan on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

That same website, drivetrain.com shows various posi units (limited slip) for the Dana 44, in some cases based on the axle spline count...

Would maybe need to determine that...

In the data there it does show Dana Trac-Loc 2.72 - 3.73 @ $348.00.....which falls in our gear ratio

Its quite a chore to swap the ring gear over to a positraction unit and reassemble to obtain a good pinion gear to ring gear pattern.

I suspect any shop would rather do that using a new ring & pinion, which would double the cost as I would bet a ring & pinion set would cost very near what that posi unit costs....then add about $3-4 hundred labor I guess

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog ... sitraction
bobbyv
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 1

Post by bobbyv »

Thanks for the great info Alaskan and also to Skater for the email. Looks like it could get a little pricey. I guess I'll have to think on it and see if it would be cost effective over the long haul. Our present Sportsmobile (95 E250 2wd) came with a 3.73 posi. and it has gotten us out of trouble more than once.

Meanwhile tomorrow is the BIG DAY. We're picking up our B190. It's a '99 with 59000 mi. Really nice shape, everything works and has all the goodies we really wanted. I did look on the door jam and found out that the axle code is 34, and according to the chart on drivetrain.com it's a 3.73 non posi. Don"t know if that's good or bad. I wonder if it will make any difference on the gas milage compared to a 3.54., it should help a little on the low end. We'll see.

Got to get a new set Michelins SOON, the present tires look good but are just too old. Not going to risk it.

Anyway we are very excited and can't wait to get her home. I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me soon ;)