brake pedal soft after replacing rear lines

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
RobertS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

brake pedal soft after replacing rear lines

Post by RobertS »

I have had a 1992 E350 B190 for 9 years. Just found your very helpful site last month. After reading about installing Hellwigg sway bar kits front and rear I ordered a set and went to work. The rear brake lines were very rusty so I reaplaced them while intalling new shocks and the sway bar systems
My van has rear ABS only. After the installation the brake pedal feels soft and with much pressure will drop to floor. When replacing the rear lines the brake fluid drained from the lines and the reservoir. I have twice bled the brakes and rear abs unit with very little improvement. I use a hand vacume pump and bottle on each brake starting at the longest line and the abs unit. Each wheel has been bled until new clear fluid flows. The ABS unit only had a trickle of flow. Prior to changing rear lines brakes were great. I hand adjust the rear brakes every six months. The rear adj seem to never work.
WW
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Sounds like you have air in the lines somewhere yet. :(
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
RobertS
Weekend Camper

brakes

Post by RobertS »

You were sooo right!! This morning I bled the brakes the old school way. Started at reservoir, cracked open the lines with wife on the brake pedal to remove any air. Removed the rear wheels and went to the right rear, left rear, ABS, right front, then left front . Made sure I got three solid pumps of fluid at each location. After completing four wheels and ABS test drove and it stopped like a champ!!
Thank you for the quick and great advice!!!
SS
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: brakes

Post by skater »

RobertS wrote:You were sooo right!! This morning I bled the brakes the old school way. Started at reservoir, cracked open the lines with wife on the brake pedal to remove any air. Removed the rear wheels and went to the right rear, left rear, ABS, right front, then left front . Made sure I got three solid pumps of fluid at each location. After completing four wheels and ABS test drove and it stopped like a champ!!
Thank you for the quick and great advice!!!
SS
Glad it helped. I've had pretty good luck with the vacuum pump method myself. The ABS I think makes it a bit harder.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
RobertS
Weekend Camper

Post by RobertS »

The raod test after installing new Monroe Gas Magna shocks 555031 , 555032, and front and rear Hellwig sway bars 7604, 7183, is complete. What a huge improvement to road control at both low and high speed. Wish I would have done this nine years ago!!! The front and rear kits were available on e-bay, both with shipping for $400.00. I am very happy with the result and now look forward to highway speeds!!
SS
1992 B19 E350 460ci
WW White Whale