Just bought a 93- Picking it up in 2 weeks. Shop questions

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Just bought a 93- Picking it up in 2 weeks. Shop questions

Post by RobertL »

93 460 engine 37k miles.

We are going to be bringing it back to Vegas from San Diego on the 11th.

My only anxiety is the tires. The tread is great but they have sun cracks on the sidewalls. Any advice on speed and how many tire stops I should make?

Also- Will be going straight to the shop to have a thorough going thru of the mechanicals.

What should I ask my mechanic to pay extra attention to?
This is my list so far:

diagnostic on engine
inspect Hoses
inspect belts
Flush and clean fuel system
inspect plugs and wires
new oil and filter- synthetic oil
flush and refill coolant system
Transmission fluid change out- and filter(drop pan)
recharge ac
inspect brakes and brake fluid level-adjust if needed.

One other issue- Has anyone ever had the ventilation system clogged up?
No airflow of any kind coming through bottom and dash vents. Toggle slide seems ok as I can feel resistance. Weird?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I'd replace the tires outright. It's not worth the trouble.

For the brakes, flushing the brake fluid would be a good idea if it's not in good shape (it comes out of the bottle clear...mine was black).

HVAC: The HVAC system is vacuum powered - look for a vacuum leak behind the dash.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Roadhog
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 8063

Post by Roadhog »

I agree tires and brakes are most important. 37,000 miles on a 93 is pretty low. It has been sitting around quite a bit. Thats the worst thing because things begin to deteriorate. Your list sounds like it should put things back in order if anything needs fixing. If you plan on keeing it, I would opt to put a set of top line tires on it asap. I have had very good performance from my Bridgestones but Michelians would also be a great choice. Be sure to run 80 psi in the rear and 60 psi in the front. Having those brakes checked is also good advice. That should get you home safely where you can take up any other issues.
Happy Trails, Howard[/i]
RobertL
Weekend Camper

Thanks

Post by RobertL »

Thank you so much for the review and tips.
We plan to hold on to this baby for a long time, so I want to do things right from the start and give it lots of TLC.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

In reference to tires: My tire shop highly recommends bolt in valve stems. Much safer for our tires given the high pressures we run in them, especially in the rears.
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler

basic questions

Post by craigmar »

Welcome, You mentioned about an oil change to synthetic, I don't know about others and what they run but an experience I had with synthetic made me a firm beliver in not using it and just doing regular oil changes. I had a vehicle in Michigan and prior to a vacation going or coming back to Utah, I had new tires put on and the vehicle checked over. I was talked into changing the oil to a synthetic and because I didn't know better had the synthetic put in. The vehicle was about 6 years old and I had no problems other than routine maintaince, anyway we left Michigan and after arriving in Utah, the engine went junk with oil and blue smoke blowing out the exhaust. It was cheaper to buy a new vehicle to get back to Michigan than to replace the engine. I asked the Mechanic what the heck happened and he said that the synthetic oil was too good for the engine, that the oil had loosened everything up and that the engine blew because of that loosness in the rings, seals etc. That is why I won't use synthetic in a used vehicle. It may be a bunch of bull, I don't know but I find it easier to believe and not take a chance of replacing an engine. I haven't used a synthetic since that incident, for me I'm fine with regular oil but others may have a totally fine experience using a synthetic.
Another point also is that last year I had to have an engine replaced in my mustang because the wife failed to notice that the heat gauge was off the top of no return and blew the engine on the freeway. The shop that put the new engine in gave me a 3 year warranty but said if I used a synthetic oil in the engine that it would void the warranty.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Welcome Robert...

Your list looks to be perfect.

Once you get out and use the rig you'll probably find a few things that require some tlc....things that have been covered here more than once.

Whatever brand of tires are currently on the rig, ya might stop at that particular store and have them inspect the tires

That would be a very nice rig with only 37-thousand miles...years of good service and fun trips ahead of you.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Re: basic questions

Post by skater »

craigmar wrote:Welcome, You mentioned about an oil change to synthetic, I don't know about others and what they run but an experience I had with synthetic made me a firm beliver in not using it and just doing regular oil changes.
On the other hand, I started using synthetic in mine at 111,000 miles and haven't had a single problem. The other two cars both got it for the first time well into their lives and haven't had a single problem, either.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
RobertS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by RobertS »

Tires after five years of age tires with great tread are prone to side wall failure at the wost time!! Check the spare for date code also. Yes metal valve stems are a must for the 80 psi tires.
I have had two side wall blow outs, one in drive way, the other on the road both with tires 5+ years age. The road blow out required changing tire and my shorts in the weeds!
Two valve stems blew out in drive way, I must be a blessed, but slow learner, before I changed out to all metal bolt on stems.
SS
1992 B19 E350 460ci
WW White Whale
RobertL
Weekend Camper

Post by RobertL »

Thanks for all the advice- I love this forum as I have already found lots of great ideas and identified potential pitfalls.

Got a line on our new license plate, which is in fact one that we had a couple of years ago on our convertible VW

Our Reborn 1993 b190 will be Christened OBLVION
with NEVADA plates.

Seems like a good fit as we will be riding off into Oblivion and beyond. :D
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks Robert...thats what the site is for.

We seem to be attracting a number of new members recently as the rigs change owners...16 new members in August

Please jump into your Profile and enter your rigs year...